How do you clean your cooking gloves?

Kevin Mahler

TVWBB Member
I'm fairly new to BBQing on a smoker. I bought a nice pair of welding gloves for the task. After 3 cooks they are fairly dirty and have some food product on them. They are suede leather so I can't toss them in the washing machine.

So, how do you clean your gloves?

Thanks,

Kevin

We use heavy duty heat resistant rubber gloves for things like pulling meat from cooker, handling when hot, etc. For hotter jobs, I use Orca silicone mitts, good to 500 F

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I use leather gloves only when handling hot charcoal...never need washing.

I use neoprene gloves when handling hot meat or cooking grates. These are easily washed with soap and water in the sink while still on your hands. I got them at the hardware store. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Same as Chris. Leather welding gloves for hot steel and coals, Insulated neoprene for hot food.

I don't use gloves with for food or grates. Tongs handle grates, ribs, chicken, steaks; tongs and a spatula handles briskets and similarly sized stuff; a spat in one hand and a wadded kitchen towel in the other handles larger hot items like butts.

You guys use gloves????? Do they help???
icon_biggrin.gif

I'm like Kevin. I'm just too damn lazy to look for them, and I don't ever use them.

EDIT: And I don't mean Kevin is lazy, but that I'm like him in I don't use gloves

I do as Chris. I have leather gloves for handling the cooker and such and neoprene gloves for the food.

As for being lazy or not using gloves, I don't get that. Using gloves makes handling the large pieces of meat we deal with a breeze. Using tongs and spatulas seems harder to me and much more risk of dropping the food.

No need to clean here - I wear cotton gloves under latex gloves. So far, they have worked for picking up hot grates, hot butts and ribs and perfect for pulling butts....you get a better feel for the 'not wanted'!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I use leather gloves only when handling hot charcoal...never need washing.

I use neoprene gloves when handling hot meat or cooking grates. These are easily washed with soap and water in the sink while still on your hands. I got them at the hardware store. Similar to these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007ZGURK/thevirtualweberb

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What Chris said

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
I do as Chris. I have leather gloves for handling the cooker and such and neoprene gloves for the food.

As for being lazy or not using gloves, I don't get that. Using gloves makes handling the large pieces of meat we deal with a breeze. Using tongs and spatulas seems harder to me and much more risk of dropping the food. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Lazy because I put the smoker next to the door in my room that leads outside (so I can sleep, lay on my bed and watch tv etc.) while the gloves are in the kitchen. Yeah I'm lazy.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne Truelove:
No need to clean here - I wear cotton gloves under latex gloves. So far, they have worked for picking up hot grates, hot butts and ribs and perfect for pulling butts....you get a better feel for the 'not wanted'! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I use the same when pulling pork. I like the feel, as you say. Better dexterity when trying to separate lean from fat.

So I guess I have three different glove routines, depending on the circumstances.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Using tongs and spatulas seems harder to me and much more risk of dropping the food. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it ain't some flimsy POS from Wal-Mart (or, now that they are changing it: Walmart) so it is easy to me. For large roasts, one spat, one wadded up towel--done.

The whole putting-on-then-taking-off-gloves thing is anathema to me. And, whatever towel I use doesn't get used again for direct food contact--neither should gloves until cleaned or within a short time they become a perfect FBI vector haven. Not dealing with that. Obviously those here who use gloves clean them, as shown, but they're just not my thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne Truelove:
No need to clean here - I wear cotton gloves under latex gloves. So far, they have worked for picking up hot grates, hot butts and ribs and perfect for pulling butts....you get a better feel for the 'not wanted'! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wayne,

You use cotton gloves under latex gloves to pick up hot grates? How does that latex smell when it burns
icon_biggrin.gif
? Just kidding, I know you meant cotton gloves only for the grates, but I couldnt resist.

So does anyone know how to get sauce and fat and food stuffs out of those nice red gloves?

Cause I, like the genius I am, have a little bit of food stuffs on the fingers of my gloves cause I touched something I shouldn't have! (While a lot of fun with the women, not so much at the WSM. My gloves are gunky and those vent tabs are HOT!)

Thoughts?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott T (Odirom):
So does anyone know how to get sauce and fat and food stuffs out of those nice red gloves?

Cause I, like the genius I am, have a little bit of food stuffs on the fingers of my gloves cause I touched something I shouldn't have!

Thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Let them dry in the IN hot sun. Once dry and crispy, brush them with a stiff brush. Then go over them with one of them disenfectant<sp? wipes. To be honest, I never worry about it, and I'm still alive. Much to the shagrin of many.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back