How did this happen?

Dave Albracht

TVWBB Member
How did this happen?

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>fired up the smoker at 9pm
<LI>by 10pm, stabilized with meat on at 225
<LI>at 11pm, opened all three vents 10-20%, set max smoker temp on my ET-73 at 270 degrees. I know this is way high, but I didn't want to get up unless there was a real problem.
<LI>alarm for high smoker temp (270) at 5am!!! [/list]

That does not add up. BTW, I am in Chicago where the temp tonight was around 35.

Just realized, I ran out of water. That really speaks to the efficiency of the WSM. That is amazing.

Surprised I ran out of water after 7 hours!!!

Yup. That'll do it. Reality check!
icon_smile.gif

Now you know why so many on this board have gone waterless. There are a number of ways to do it but if you search on clay saucer you'll find a lot of information. There is also a Piedmont pan (two pans stacked with an air space between) you might want to look at. I like waterless because of the ease of clean up, but it would also allow you to stay in bed a little longer. You also don't use as much fuel without water so you should be able to do most cooks without refueling.

Hope your cook went well. What were you cooking?

Thanks Jerry, I'm cooking a 6lb butt.

Do you make or buy a piedmont pan?

Question? If sand, clay saucer, piedmont pan is more efficient why does Weber maintain their position on the water pan?

Simplicity, for folks who are not veterans of the fire.

Hard to burn food w/ water method because 250ish is max temp.

My 2 cents.

Agreed.

Clay or sand is not necessarily more efficient, though that would depend on one's definition. Water can't get higher than boiling so the temps are more easily stabilized in the lower range. This is possible without water (I simply use a foiled empty pan for most cooks, water when I low temp stability is important to me) but one should keep in mind that with nothing, sand, or clay in the pan cooktemps can rise past target if the fire really gets going. That should be kept in mind and accommodated and/or understood when setting up and fueling for a cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
Simplicity, for folks who are not veterans of the fire.

Hard to burn food w/ water method because 250ish is max temp.

My 2 cents. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean it can't get over 250's with water? Well I must have bad water here...lol. Because I've had a couple run away cooks that hit 300 with water in the pan.

With an uncontrolled fire, sure it can. It can go much higher than that with clay, sand, or nothing, thus the need to plan set-up and start-up with an eye to the possibilities.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you mean it can't get over 250's with water? Well I must have bad water here...lol. Because I've had a couple run away cooks that hit 300 with water in the pan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was reffering to a minion low and slow, if started correctly and all vents 100% I could never get above 265.

I am sure if the fire was super hot before assembling or door prop/ lid cracked it could be higher, no doubt!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you mean it can't get over 250's with water? Well I must have bad water here...lol. Because I've had a couple run away cooks that hit 300 with water in the pan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was reffering to a minion low and slow, if started correctly and all vents 100% I could never get above 265.

I am sure if the fire was super hot before assembling or door prop/ lid cracked it could be higher, no doubt! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We'll just have to disagree on this one. All I use is the Minion Method. 12 coals to start, two vents %100 and one closed. Close all vents when it hits 200. Will hover in the 230-240's for hours. If I open one vent to 25% to get it a bitter hotter say 250, and I happen to forget it, I'll be in the high 200's to 300 in no time. Maybe it's just my smoker, I don't know.

Wow, ya know it's amazing at some of the diff's among the WSM's.

Do you have the 18 or 22?

I tried to q at 300 + for poultry when I use to use water and w/o proped door and lid couldn't make it that high.

Go figure
icon_confused.gif

Wow, ya know it's amazing at some of the diff's among the WSM's.

Do you have the 18 or 22?

I tried to q at 300 + for poultry when I use to use water and w/o proped door and lid couldn't make it that high.

Go figure
icon_confused.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A well seasoned 18"...lol.

i went from water to the clay saucer because i was tired of having to add water. when i got a pitminder i switched to just a foiled pan and ever since my pitminder died last year i have still been using just a foiled pan. if you catch your temps on the way up you can get it settled in very well with an empty pan. you will have the occasional spike but i had those with water too
icon_smile.gif

Back