How are the Meaters these days?

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
Any recent purchases of Meaters and what are your thoughts? They got a nice little thing going for Father’s Day. Might drop a hint if they are working better these days.
Thanks.

Only use it for rotisserie but have had good results with it. Did have to learn to trust the MEATER app to pull the meat when it tells me to or I over shoot the final cooking temp I am targeting. When I verify meat temp with an instant read the temp matches MEATER +/- a degree or 2. I have had the MEATER for slightly less than 1 year.

Just purchased a Meater+ but have not used it yet. Planning on smoking a butt next weekend and using it along side my Maverick.

I bought a Block in August 2019 and use it probably every time I do a cook that involves utilization of a probe. I don't think the cook time estimator is accurate, or at least there's a significant portion of the overall cook where it isn't accurate but I don't care about that feature, anyway.

I like it.

Any recent purchases of Meaters and what are your thoughts? They got a nice little thing going for Father’s Day. Might drop a hint if they are working better these days.
Thanks.
I have both the MEATER and MEATER+. You definitely will want the MEATER+ as it has a Bluetooth repeater in the block that significantly increases the range. I am disappointed with the range of the MEATER, even when using a cell phone next to the grill as a repeater I kept having dropouts less than 15ft. away.

Used it for the first time today on a spatchcock chicken. I put the probe in one of the breasts and set the app up for a whole chicken. A few times during the cook I compared the temp of the MEATER to my Maverick PT-100 instant read thermometer and it was pretty much dead on. App notified me at 160 degrees to remove from the grill. Did that and let it rest for about 5 minutes. Perfectly cooked. Just my first use but I think I may really like it. 3F5B2C43-F85F-4871-866C-CC903B9C8DB7.png

I have a Meater+. I’ve never had a problem with it, but prefer my Fireboard when I’m not using a rotisseri. I have a Combustion Inc. set pre-ordered and would recommend waiting to see reviews on it in the wild before buying a meater like @BFletcher suggested. The biggest drawback to the Meater is it‘s range and the fact it has to be insert a certain depth into the meat to protect the internals. The combustion model has multiple sensors to find the center (or cool spot). With the meater you might be past it with only two sensors, one on each end.

I've got a meater+. The range is really good for bluetooth. It reaches my whole house. I use it mostly in my offset because I don't have any probe holes in it. I also used it in my kettle a while back. The weird thing is it will not work with just a film of smoke on the ambient end. You have to clean that off for it to charge and work right. So far I think it's great. I double check with a thermopen before I pull something usually.

One thing that wasn't apparent to me until after I talked with customer service is that the Meater+ block is the Bluetooth repeater and for best performance needs to be close to the probe. The signal goes from probe to block to Bluetooth device to Wi-Fi and then to the Cloud. I was putting my cell phone next to the grill and leaving the block in the kitchen. Now I put the block on the grill (it's magnetic).

I have a pair of meter+. The ambient accuracy for me seems a bit off, and I need to temp check one of the probes. It may be coincidence but one probe seems to read low.

What Ed said about locating the base close to the probe is spot on. The probes use a low energy version of bluetooth with limited range. The base has a higher power output.

The way I have mine setup is I use a low-end android tablet as my wifi bridge, and I plug the tablet in to a charger and set the display to not sleep. This gives an always on dashboard of the cook.

It also allows me to not have meater running on my phone, but if I want to I can use it to connect to the the cloud data.

I have a pair of meter+. The ambient accuracy for me seems a bit off, and I need to temp check one of the probes. It may be coincidence but one probe seems to read low.
Just to amplify what Dan has said, there are several reasons explaining why the ambient accuracy appears off, but the probe sensor itself is not one of them...ie, under laboratory conditions, the ambient sensor is very accurate, but under real world conditions, YMMV.

Has anyone tried the ThermoPro TempSpike TP960 ?

It looks like it has very good range. There doesn’t seem to be any reviews on it yet.
I was thinking of getting the Meater+ but might wait to see if the ThermoPro is better.

Has anyone tried the ThermoPro TempSpike TP960 ?

It looks like it has very good range. There doesn’t seem to be any reviews on it yet.
I was thinking of getting the Meater+ but might wait to see if the ThermoPro is better.
$20 off coupon on that right now on Amazon. Very tempting.A71D6FA4-FAF2-484C-A25E-B353FD6186E0.jpeg

I bought the Meater + almost two years ago. Works great when I rotisserie a bird. Only thing I don't like about it is that I have to pull the battery out of the charger. If I don't pull the battery out and let it sit for a couple of months the battery will be dead and/or the range is a lot shorter. So I have to put a battery in it 24-hours before I want to use it.

Back