Hot Wings/Buffalo Wings

Yes, I tried the wings this past weekend. I followed the spicing/smoking directions exactly, and finished the wings 3 different ways to see what we liked best. The 3 ways we finished the wings after 2 hours smoking:
(1) Deep fried for one minute, then added Buffalo Sauce.
(2) Direct heat for 90-120 seconds (each side) on grill to crisp up the skin
(3) Direct heat for 90-120 seconds on each side, but prior to putting on direct heat, I brushed some finishing glaze on both sides of the wing. The finishing glaze was made up of 2 parts KC Masterpiece Original BBQSauce, and 1 part honey.

We liked all 3, but would rank the fried/add buffalo sauce finish as our least favorite. Seems like the Buffalo suace overpowers, instead of compliments, the flavor of the rub, and the smoke flavor.

Our favorite was direct grill heat with finishing glaze. The glaze seemed to compliment the rub flavor and the smoke flavor (I used pecan wood).

Yes, they are pretty tasty without the buffalo sauce, in fact I think I prefer them that way, too, but of course they're not buffalo wings without the sauce.
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Chris;

You owe me a keyboard! Your Wings pic is outstanding! I saw that and couldn't stop the drool before my keyboard was flooded. Grate photograpy and a grate recipe that is on my gotta do it list.

Thank you.

WOW those are good. I made a version in the fall with leftover heat from an all night cook. I applied EVOO, and a nice rub, smoked about 90-120 minutes and did nothing else. A professional chef who was visiting commented that they need no sauce, the smoke flavor coupled with the rub makes such an outstanding taste bomb, so why cover it up with sauce. I love Buffalo wings, but is strong sauce what one wants to do with such great smoked wings? OK, sometimes just for a change (makes the best Buffalo style wings ever – I don’t fry, just crisp for a few seconds). Just realized that I have a batch in the freezer…now in the oven.
icon_smile.gif

Don

After reading all of these recipes 1) I am really hungry for wings & 2) I figured I would share my simple twist on Garlic Hot Wings. After being extremely disappointed with the local selection of wings except for a few over priced bars, I decided to try and recreate a garlic wing that I had and loved. This is only my 2nd post so I will try to be as concise as possible.

40 fresh disjointed wings (tips removed)
Pre heat oven to 400 degrees
Lightly season wings with S&P and garlic power in a 9x13 glass dish and place in oven
After 5 minutes knock the heat down to 225 and bake for 35 minutes turning the wings once or twice.

When the baking is done now it is time for the grill. I use my One Touch 18 because I love the charcoal flavor and this size batch fits well on it, but you can use gas if that is what you prefer.

Oil the grate and throw the wings onto a medium/low heat for about 40 minutes lid on. Watch them closely in the beginning so you can find any hotspots in the charcoal. I tend to turn them about every five minutes after that so all wings get a nice even crisp skin.

During this time I make the sauce. I have to admit that I am not a big Franks fan so I use Moore’s Buffalo Wing Sauce.

Place 8 oz (about half a bottle) Moore's Sauce in a pot that can fit all the wings
Add 3 table spoons of pre-minced garlic & some of the juice. (depending on your love for garlic you can add more or less)
Add about ½ tsp garlic powder.

Mix everything and heat sauce slowly until it comes to a slight simmer and turn off heat. This is to get the garlic flavor infused throughout the sauce.

When the wings are done to your liking, take them off the grill and drop them right into the sauce pot, put the lid on and give them a toss to coat.

Enjoy with your favorite condiment and beverage of choice.

Hope you give them a shot and enjoy.

Originally posted by Marty:
i love this site and all of the suggestions, but i'm sorry guys, you can't smoke buffalo wings.
Well, maybe not in Buffalo, but you can everywhere else in the country.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Regards,
Chris

Marty, The thing is, living in Buffalo, you probably have tons of places to get good wings. Everyone one else has got to make due with bad imitations.

I agree that this site is great though and i cant wait to get started.

Ive been reading some of the posts on Hot Wings and thought I would chime in.

There is nothing like frying them. I usually do them in batches and put them in a 200 Degree oven to keep warm. Sometimes I will grill them on high heat but I think frying is better

After done, Ill usually lightly coat with sauce in a bowl or pot and serve with Bleu cheese.

I also posted this sauce on another thread and really like it. Its my own and would be curious if anyone does try it, tell me what you think and give me feedback.

Enjoy!!!

Werner
----------------------------------------------
Spicy Hot/Sweet Sauce

- 1 Cup Frank's Hot sauce (or the hot sauce of your choice for a base)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 Tablespoon powdered dried Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 or 2 Tablespoon minced garlic(depending on your taste)

- Split butter and saute minced garlic over medium heat until softened.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Brush on your favorite meat or dip chicken wings in for a real treat.

Notes

I would double or triple the recipe for mops. I would start out with less Cayenne if you dont like heat and add more in other batches to your taste.

I also have a few variations, but will skip most of them.. this is a good base recipe that I have used often.

I tried this and they are really good - taste fried but not, I basted with the franks wing sauce near the end of the cook.

wings

Anyone ever try these with chicken tenders? I've got a request for boneless white meat (don't ask me why as I don't understand it either - mine is not to question, just cook
icon_smile.gif
).
Thanks,
Don

I cook mine in the WSM minus the water pan at 350-375, 90 minutes, flip after 45 minutes, toss with 50/50 Franks+melted butter. All the fat melts away, leaving a crispy, almost deepfried skin. I throw wet wood chunks on if I want a smokier flavor. Or I just toss them with salt and pepper. I never have any leftovers.

crispy WSM hot wings

i keep my wing recipe simple.. about 2 cups franks cayenne pepper sauce(not exact but i rarely use measuring cups anymore). 1 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp blue cheese dressing stir over very low heat and toss cooked wings until coated. I found butter or marg does kill the heat, many recipes call for 1/3 cup i reduced it though.

Originally posted by Akio Stribling:
I cook mine in the WSM minus the water pan at 350-375, 90 minutes, flip after 45 minutes, toss with 50/50 Franks+melted butter. All the fat melts away, leaving a crispy, almost deepfried skin. I throw wet wood chunks on if I want a smokier flavor. Or I just toss them with salt and pepper. I never have any leftovers.

crispy WSM hot wings
I tried this last night with only below par results. My 15 minute lid temps were: 290°, 312°, 345°, 375°, 365° and 350°. The wings had way too much "Mr. Brown" (Mr. BLACK) and the meat was dry. Perhaps I misunderstood the instructions "minus the water pan". I took the pan right out of the WSM. Was I supposed to leave the DRY pan in the smoker?

Originally posted by SANDEE MCKINIVAN:
I tried this last night with only below par results. My 15 minute lid temps were: 290°, 312°, 345°, 375°, 365° and 350°. The wings had way too much "Mr. Brown" (Mr. BLACK) and the meat was dry. Perhaps I misunderstood the instructions "minus the water pan". I took the pan right out of the WSM. Was I supposed to leave the DRY pan in the smoker?

Nah, you're supposed to fry them! (kidding)

Has anyone tried these wings? Are they really good?

Originally posted by Kirk J:
Here's the post that went around the web for awhile. Not sure how true it is, but the sauce is fantastic IMO. Love to try it with the coating that Kevin posted.<br /><br />Post as follows:<br />Here is what I believe to be the original recipe, as I learned it in 1982 from ?Bubba?, an ancient, little black man who said he actually used to make the wings at Frank and Teresa?s Anchor Bar, Buffalo, New York, where the original Buffalo Wings were invented during 1964. Today, the Anchor Bar is said to serve up in excess of 70,000 lbs. of these wings each month<br /><br />? The Sauce - makes enough for about 30 wings<br />o 6 Tablespoons (3 oz.) of FRANK?S Louisiana Hot Sauce (also sold as DURKEE?S) <br />o 1/2 stick of margarine (not butter!!)<br />o 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar<br />o 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper powder<br />o 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper<br />o l/8 teaspoon of garlic salt <br />o A dash of black pepper<br />o 1/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce<br />o 1 to 2 teaspoons of Tabasco sauce<br />o Mix all the ingredients in a small sauce pan over low heat (and I do mean low) until the margarine is completely melted, then stir until everything is blended into the sauce. Then get the sauce off of the heat!! This last step is quite important, as any additional heating tends to kill the flavor.<br /><br />? The Wings - use about 30 wings<br />o Use completely defrosted wings<br />o Cut off the tips<br />o Use a deep fryer (or a pot deep enough to hold wings covered with oil)<br />o Use a candy thermometer to measure the temperature of the oil.<br />o In the deep fryer, put in about a quart of peanut oil (yes, I said peanut oil. Other types of oil don?t seem to develop quite the same exquisite flavor.) Heat the peanut oil to 375 degrees F., and drop in half (15) of the wings, one at a time. Doing it one at a time is important, as you don?t want to lower the temperature of the peanut oil too much (less than about 325 degrees F.) by dumping in a whole load of cold wings all at one time.<br />o Fry the wing for 12 to 15 minutes, then take them out.<br />o Place the other 15 wings in the deep fryer, then drain the hot, cooked wings for a few minutes through a strainer, preferably placed over the deep fryer. If you don?t use a strainer, the residual oil will congeal on the wings, making a rather greasy mess.<br />o When all the wings are cooked put the wings and the sauce in a container with a cover. Then vigorously shake the container until the wings are thoroughly coated.<br />? Serve with celery and blue cheese salad dressing.

Rob:

That's not far off. First, you don't just remove the wing tip, but cut the rest of the wing at the joint (into 2 pieces). Also, NEVER cover the pan with the sauce when the wings are in it. All of that vinegary vapor is going to steam the wings and they'll lose their crispiness.

When I was working at a wing joint in Buffalo in the '70's, we would keep the sauce in a very large, wide metal bowl. Dump in the freshly fried wings, then flip them around (like flipping an omelette in a skillet -- start them going backwards, then snap the wrist). Also, for takeout, no styrofoam -- it doesn't "breathe" and the wings lose crispiness. Always cardboard.

I don't remember using Worcestershire sauce, but it's not a deal breaker.

I'm a huge wing aficionado. My favorite wings are smoked. Not only are they less fatty, the meat is more flavorful.

One variation I'll suggest is Terriyaki with Ranch. Hold on to your hat - I use Bleu on everything else, but the R works good with T.

Smoke naked & toss with sauce.

I like breading chicken tenders etc but not my wingies.

Back