Hot Wings/Buffalo Wings

The recipe I've settled on:

Prep (Can be done beforehand and refrigerated until needed or right before):

1) Very lightly coat wings with vegetable oil so they don't stick in a sheetpan and tear/ruin the skin
2) Bake wings 40 mins at 400* (just cooking them well done and starting to crisp)
3) Remove, allow to cool, and either refrigerate for later, or continue
4) Fry at 375*+ until skin is crispy
5) Dip in sauce or toss with sauce in tupper

Sauce:
4 parts Frank's RedHot
1 part white vinegar
1 part chunky blue cheese salad dressing (Wishbone)
1/4tsp cayenne pepper (optional)

Add RedHot and vinegar (and cayene if desired) to small pot. Simmer and allow to thicken a bit (10 mins) partly covered. Add blue cheese dressing and stir until well incorporated and chunks melt. Keep simmering/reducing while making wings. The thicker it gets the better it gets.

You can juggle the proportions to taste. Nice vinegar/spicy sauce and crispy naked wings underneath.

I moved to VA after living in upstate NY for a couple of years and wasn't happy with the local options for wings. So I made my own based on recipe's I gathered from ny buddies up there.

First, I feel you need to fry them. I like to coat them with flour but sometimes I'm just too lazy to do that so that is optional. Fry them for 12 minutes. I like to dump the sauce over them and then bake them but it does not appear that would be an option if you are cooking them for a function and there is no oven at the site.

As for the sauce you really can't go wrong with the sauce thatt is on the Frank's bottle. I'll sometimes doctor mine with worchestershire, cayenne and additional apple cider vinegar. Can't give amounts, I just dump it in until it tastes right.

Good luck

Tom

Emmanuel, welcome to TVWB.
icon_cool.gif

I’m also a believer of frying wings. I’ve had baked, then fried wings but haven’t been able to get them where I like. I now live in the Buffalo Wing Capital of the world and still can’t find a place that stands up to the wings we use to get at Jaycee’s on Oakridge Road, Orlando back in ’87 – ’89. The owners (H&W) were from the Buffalo area and had some wings that were unbeatable. This is where 1st had curly fries with vinegar sauce. Their Med and Med-Hot wings were dry and their hot wings were wet but not that thicker sauce you often see. We use to go there every Thursday evening for lunch (2nd shift) as a prelude to bowling night for wings and beer ~ Had our own table back in the corner. They sold the place around 1990 and the new owners closed down in ’91 I think. I’ve been chasing that recipe ever since…
icon_frown.gif

I love wings and like Bill prefer deep fried when I make them. I had the pleasure of eating the best smoked wings, actually the best wings I ever had at a Q joint called Bootleg BBQ. Unbelievable taste and tenderness. That made me look for a recipe to cook some myself in the smoker and have not had much luck but now I know it can be done. I won 1st place with my chicken this past year at a contest and their chicken taste was better than mine. One thing that they do, well I think they do is marinate the wings because the flavor was in the meat too, not just flavored on the outside. I usually tend to over smoke wings and over cook them too. There is a fine line to perfect them. Ill get it, someday and until then I will just suffer eating my failures..
icon_smile.gif

I’m also a believer of frying wings. I’ve had baked, then fried wings but haven’t been able to get them where I like.

I agree, but a lot of places around here serve wings that go from frozen to fried in a few mins. The inside of the wings is still pink/raw, definitely a turn off.

After enough baskets of that, and trying some wings I really liked that were baked then fried, I became a convert to doing both. I think baking and refrigerating before frying helps the skin get a nice crackling finish to it when fried.

Naked (un-breaded) wings tend not to accumulate as much sauce and don't get soggy so easily. Leaves room for more beer too!

Orlando eh? Ever frequent the "Mighty Mushroom" out by UCF?

Originally posted by Emmanuel K.:

Orlando eh? Ever frequent the "Mighty Mushroom" out by UCF?
No and I worked right there in the Research Park for 3 years before moving up here, but I tried Bubbalou’s at Alafaya and Challenger a few times. Pretty good for a chain ~ That place was always packed!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I am with you Bill. Buffalo Wings must be fried, at least initially. Wings "from the pit" are my favorite. Also, wings are dipped in bleu cheese dressing. I have been to other parts of the country where they are served with ranch dressing
icon_mad.gif
. Also if anyone is in the WNY area, you should stop by the Anchor Bar. Not my favorite chickenwings, but where they were invented.

I fry them, then let them loll around in the franks/butter then eat them wet. Sometimes I dry them out (the coating..not the meat) in the oven for a bit.

Question: Do any of you ever flour your wings before frying them? I could swear I read a post that recommended that, but can't find it.

Originally posted by Phil R.:
Question: Do any of you ever flour your wings before frying them? I could swear I read a post that recommended that, but can't find it.
I don't but here's a post from Randy Parr about it..I might just try it.
icon_cool.gif

Bill

Well, I got tired of readingabout chicken wings so I hopped in my car and bought some franks sauce , wings, and veg. oil. I figured I'd do an experiement (purely in the interest of science, you see
icon_smile.gif
). So, I cut each wing at the joint and then cut the tips off. The flat sections I put into a paper bag with white flour and shook up. The drumettes were left naked. Fried both at 350 in the veg oil.

Flouring the wings makes a *big* difference. This is the first time I've done it and not only did make a nice shattering shell around the flat, but it made them much more substantial...bigger. Now excuse me while chow down!
icon_smile.gif

I've thought about smo-fried wings in the past but never tried them. That video has inspired me ~ Thanks! BTW, the video needs one more picture frame at the end .. 5 or 6 faces stuffed with wings and taters!
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

Thanks Bill, glad you enjoyed. I make them like that all the time now.

I've cooked them just about every way under the sun and this produces the best tasting wing IMHO.

They're a little addictive though, and thats not such a good thing if ur trying to maintain that girlish figure : )

Here's my favorite sauce. I love the vinegar tang!!

2 C Franks Red Hot
1/2 Stick Unsalted Butter
1 t garlic powder
3 T Vinegar
1 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 t black pepper

Heat on low and let simmer for 15 mins.

Sometimes I add ground mustard, cayenne, tabasco and white pepper.

Simple, but good.

I flour lightly with a little rub mixed in....then fry...

The kids like them plain and then I do the hot sauce and blue cheese (seperate) for the wife and I.

Here is a basic wing recipe that my family really likes. This won't burn your eyebrows off but they taste like wings should taste IMHO.

Buffalo Wings

32 disjointed wings with tips removed (16 whole wings)
Enough peanut oil for your chosen method of frying
4 brown paper bags with 2 paper towels in each

“Rub”:
1/8 cup cornstarch
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp granulated garlic
Black pepper to taste

Sauce:
1 cup Frank’s Red Hot hot sauce
5 tbsp butter (salted or unsalted doesn’t really matter)
1 tbsp of white vinegar
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp granulated garlic
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Frank’s Extra Hot hot sauce

Toss wings in “rub” to fully coat. I usually do this right before cooking as I cannot tell a discernible difference between doing it earlier.

For the sauce, mix all the ingredients in a small sauce pan over low heat until everything is blended into the sauce. You’re not trying the heat the sauce so much as just get everything incorporated. The sauce will coat the wings better at closer to room temperature anyway.

Heat the oil to 360 degrees and fry the wings in four batches, two each of drummies and wings. I fry the wings about 10 minutes, or until they float and have a dark golden brown color. I fry the drummies about 13 minutes, or until they float and have same color. Remove them to brown paper bags with paper towels and shake vigorously to get all the excess oil off. Transfer them from here to room temperature sauce and toss to coat. As soon as they are coated, remove from sauce and serve.

Originally posted by A.D.Letson:
Here is a basic wing recipe that my family really likes. This won't burn your eyebrows off but they taste like wings should taste IMHO.

Sounds YUMMMY!!!!

Think this would be good to BBQ? ...Until I get my fryer for Chritmas.

It has been my experience that smoked wings need more pre cook flavor than do fried wings so a stronger rub or marinade would probably be better suited than this one.

Back