Hot Water Heater: Repair or Replace?

Hot water is back! Forced air heat is back! $220 for the part, $136 for the service call including first hour of labor, we're back online for $356. And to think that the guy yesterday wanted $650 for the same part and repair. Ugh!

FWIW I installed a tankless water heater about 12 years ago. I think it paid for itself in the first 3 years instead of buying a high efficiency 50 gallon tank type. I know there is a lot of dumb things said about them but it works just fine. I installed it myself. 200000 BTU so enough to run every fixture in my house at full temp. Was easier to install than a tank type too. About the size of a carry on suit case weighs maybe 30lbs. Hung it on the wall ran the gas and water lines plumbed the stainless vent out through the wall. Happy with it. Will never buy a tank type again

Sounds like you got a good deal - I'm sure you'll be good for another 5-10 years.

FWIW I installed a tankless water heater about 12 years ago. I think it paid for itself in the first 3 years instead of buying a high efficiency 50 gallon tank type. I know there is a lot of dumb things said about them but it works just fine. I installed it myself. 200000 BTU so enough to run every fixture in my house at full temp. Was easier to install than a tank type too. About the size of a carry on suit case weighs maybe 30lbs. Hung it on the wall ran the gas and water lines plumbed the stainless vent out through the wall. Happy with it. Will never buy a tank type again

especially nice for those with the giant tubs - some friends of mine have a giant tub they can never use because it runs out of hot water too soon. I like the idea of tankless, but I'm out of that market.

I have a 50 gallon Rheem electric water heater that is of plastic tank type, I have a water softener and they eat metal tanks for breakfast, had a gas heater and changed to this electric model Marathon model before Rheem bought them, anyway very quiet, recovers fast heats for less or same as my high efficient gas did had in for about 10 years love it. Have a remote electric tankless in my garage for hot water in spring and fall love that too,well my hands do while washing the cars.
I would love to have my main water heater to be tankless as my wife is part fish i think......

Back