Hot & Fast Chicken on WSM 14.5

JSpradlin

Hello,

I only have 2 cooks under my belt, but I am loving my WSM 14.5. The first thing I cooked was Chris' Hot & Fast chicken and it was awesome. This week I plan to cook that recipe again but for more people. I will use 2 chickens (split into 4 total halves). Obviously it will require me to use both cooking racks. Has anyone had experience with using both racks in this recipe? I am a little nervous about the chicken on the lower rack getting too close to the coals without the water pan as this recipe calls for. Or maybe when I flip the chicken after 30 minutes I could just swap the chicken between the two racks. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:
J,
I have cooked whole chickens on both the bottom and the top rack or my WSM 14 hot and fast, but I have never done one on each at the same time. I have zero issues when I cooked the whole chicken on the bottom. I am with Lew I think rotating them would even it out. Also, it's OK if one gets done before the other, don't try to worry about getting them done at the exact same time. If one is done before the other take it off, put it one a tray and loosely wrap with foil until the other one is also done.

Thanks for the advice! I had just been concerned about the chicken being too close to the coals but it is good to know that isn't an issue.

Back