Hot and Fast Wagyu Brisket

I Marks

TVWBB Member
Is it possible to do a 15-16 lb. Wagyu brisket hot and fast on a 18.5" WSM without any blower gadgets? How?

With a lot of money ..

Carefully.
Imagine water in the pan would be out just wrap.

Start with fair amount of lit, vents and possibly lid leak
I was thinking of not using the water pan at all...just rotating the brisket every 1/2 hour or so and spritzing it to keep it moist. Maybe wrap in both butcher paper and foil?

I was thinking of not using the water pan at all...just rotating the brisket every 1/2 hour or so and spritzing it to keep it moist. Maybe wrap in both butcher paper and foil?
I would suggest participating in this recent high heat Brisket cook

I also suggest trying the cook on a Prime or Choice Brisket before pulling the trigger on a Wagyu

I would suggest participating in this recent high heat Brisket cook

I also suggest trying the cook on a Prime or Choice Brisket before pulling the trigger on a Wagyu
Thanks for referring me to that thread...good info. In the past I have done pretty well with lesser grade briskets, better with low and slow than hot and fast. I'm older now and don't want/can't do an overnighter anymore.

Thanks for referring me to that thread...good info. In the past I have done pretty well with lesser grade briskets, better with low and slow than hot and fast. I'm older now and don't want/can't do an overnighter anymore.

There are a few avenues that don't involve staying up all night. Hot n Fast is one. A draft controller for your WSM to run low n slow (or hot n fast) is another. But this is why the pellet grill was invented.

What about lump vs. briquets?
Lump will burn hotter. How much hotter depends on the type of briqettes vs the type of wood used to make the lump. But briquettes use a binder to hold the ground up charcoal together. The binder is usually not a fuel and therefore acts as a moderator of the burning and lowers the heat output. Lump from some species of trees can burn very hot. You should be able to get 400F with lump very easily. But you may find it difficult to control.

Well, if you want to do the least amount of work, because of age, which I understand, then I'd use alot of hot briquettes with a fan and not flip and use foil, no paper and stick it in the oven to finish. That would be really lazy and cheap.

To add to Donna's post above, if you started on the smoker mid afternoon and wrapped just before bedtime, put it in the oven at 225, shut down your smoker, you should get a good night's rest.

Ive never done it myself but I've seen a few video on this!Leave the water pan in as a Heat Shield NO Water!

Well, if you want to do the least amount of work, because of age, which I understand, then I'd use alot of hot briquettes with a fan and not flip and use foil, no paper and stick it in the oven to finish. That would be really lazy and cheap.
Harry is big on the oven finish, the connotation of lazy and cheap seem negative, maybe easier and cost efficient would make me want to try it.

Back