Hot and Fast Chicken ... with pretty awesome bite through skin

Brian S Albin

Hello TVWBB,

2nd time doing chicken on my WSM. Hot and fast produced a far superior product to my first attempt using low and slow. Details of the cook and photos are below.

Equipment and Setup
---
WSM 14.5 (2 racks, no water pan)
ThermoPro TP20
1 chimney of lit coals, 8-10 unlit coals, 3 small chunks of apple wood

Technigue
---
Overnight marinade in Zesty Italian Dressing
Rub with Stubbs Chicken Spice Rub 45 minutes before going on the smoker
Cook at 350-375 degrees
30 minutes skin side down then flip
10 minutes skin side up then brush with sauce
10 minutes skin side up to set the sauce
Rest for 5 minutes then eat up

Notes
---
1. I needed to use both racks due to the # of chicken pieces. The bottom rack cooks faster and the skin blackened on 2 pieces. I may have to cook fewer pieces and just use 1 rack next time ... or just pick off the blackened skin and enjoy the meat.
2. Hot and fast gave me flavorful, bite through skin. The marinade and rub really had an impact here with a great flavor profile. The skin was not entirely crispy, but it was crisp enough and did not taste rubbery.
3. The family devoured these pieces. Best BBQ chicken I have ever had. If my daughter goes back for a 2nd piece ... it's good stuff.
4. Smoke flavor was noticeable, but not overpowering due to the short cook period.
5. The BBQ Pitmasters marathon on TV made my day, but drove the wife nuts after about 5 episodes.

Smoked Chicken by Brian Albin, on Flickr

Chicken isn't my favourite meat but I must say, cooking it on the WSM makes for a totally different taste experience. You simply cannot beat BBQ'd chicken made with this type of cooking method. It's juicy, flavourful and absolutely delicious.

Thanks for sharing.

Great looking yardbird but you’re gonna have to get some reds, greens, and yellows on that plate! It’s all the same color! LOL

Seriously, we BBQ’ed chicken for the 4th with baked beans so our plates looked very similar.

Last edited:

Back