Home made Vortex

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All My home made Vortex/Walmart dog bowl, didn't work as well as I thought it should. The temps on outside/edges only reached 225? I had to put the wings right the Vortex to get them to cook?
Any idea's or thoughts on why, it didn't work so good?
Thanks Dan

v6iFQFnm.jpg

Weber Smoky Joe
yJlCNx3m.jpg

h5DmBi4m.jpg

Looks to me like your coals are not “fully involved” as firemen say. I’ve only used one on a 22” and screaming heat will happen only when the searingly blue flame spits from the chimney top and then you dump into the “ ‘Tex” . Did you light it off in your dog bowl? I think you just didn’t let it get to blowtorch level. I throw a base of previously used coals in the bottom, set a chimney of fresh on top with the best use of the Kalamazoo Gazette under the chimney and the fire spreads BOTH ways.
By the time the chimney is really going, it can seriously deform the wire “cone” in the chimney after about a dozen uses. Well, it has for me. Tweak that and I think you will see what the hub bib is about. I tried the dog bowl thing and wasn’t impressed but, after I bit the bullet and got one from Marty...Game changer!
Also, I highly recommend lining the space between the outside of the “Dogtex” and the “Joe” bowl with foil, to simplify cleanup.
That got a bit “windy”, I apologize.

Last edited:
Hi I'm thinking maybe now my coals were not hot enough when I started the wings. We wait longer next time. In theory it should work..No?
Thanks Dan

I agree with Timothy. The Vortex works with intake vents under it but not beside it as it is on your Smokey Joe. Additionally radiant heat generated by the Vortex radiates perpendicular to the side wall. The dog bowl has vertical or near vertical sides so you will get much much less radiant heat on your food than if you had the angular wall of the Vortex. Radiant heat is direct heat. Convection heat is indirect and that's what you get with a dog bowl. There is definitely a scientific reason for the cone shape.

Yes, vents need to be under the *HOT* white coals, and the Vortex should "cone" upwards more. The idea is to vortex/concentrate all heat out of the cone and to the top underside of the lid creating a convection of heat throughout the cooker.

Clearly I'm not a scientist, but this is how I understand it should work. GL!

BTW, what's the allure of making one's own Vortex accessory? It can't be as simple as saving money can it?

Back