Home Depot surprised me

Don Reed

TVWBB Pro
I use to go to HD to get my bags of Hickory chunks but had been useing Lowes for the past couple of years because they're closer but this past weekend I went to HD with my wife so she could get some flowers for her plant baskets and was very impressed, they not only had the Hickory but large bags of Apple , Cherry and Mesquite chunks and smaller bags of Apple,Hickory,Pecan,Cherry and Mesquite chunks and bags of Alder,Apple Cherry,Pecan,Hickory and Mesquite chips I think a follow up trip is in store.

Thats another reason I hadn't been going to HD for chunks they both, Lowes and HD, had just Hickory and Mesquite and not much of a difference in cost, you could find small bags of Apple and Cherry chips sometimes but I rarely use chips and the only other resource I had for chunks was way to expensive even the bags of Webber wood was small and costly, I'm glad HD around here has expanded thier choices

The HD by me has always carried just Hickory and Mesquite chunks, and some Char-broil chips of Apple and Cherry. Hopefully that will change, but I get a better variety at my local Menard's, Meijer, and Farm&Fleet. Both Lowes got shut-down years ago but one of the weirdest places to find smokewood was Dollar General. They had large bags of mixed splits (Oak,Hickory and pecan) marked as gourmet smokewood for BBQ at a decent price.

Tim

Don, keep your eyes peeled for small wild cherry trees, whether storm damaged or just growing on friends or neighbor's property. My brother-in-law just moved back from Kernersville, NC, and while getting his house ready to sell, which was in a cul-de-sac of a subdivision, my nephew helped me take out a few that were growing at the edge of his back yard. I don't know the exact species, but understand that these are quite prolific in NC. I've been using it for chicken and mixing with a chunk of hickory for ribs and am LOVING the flavor, not to mention that the smell of the smoke is INCREDIBLE!

Anyhow, not only is "free" obviously better, but kiln dried smoke wood just doesn't have much substantial moisture left. As for apple, I haven't visited our local orchard at the right time, but I take my saw with me when we go to pick peaches and they let me take as many broken limbs as I want. When the wood seasons to where it will clack when knocked on another piece, I know it's ready for smoking and that the smoke will last longer and give more flavor than anything I can buy in a store. If I couldn't bum a little hickory and oak off friends, I'd just buy some from someone that sells firewood. Another advantage there is that you should be able to find out which species it is. For instance, red oak has more flavor than white, and there's some hickories that produce harsher smoke than others. Lots of folks shy away from it, but anyone that's done any smoking with shaggy bark hickory, one that's prolific here in TN, knows that it's a fantastic smoke wood and goes with anything. Pignut hickory is supposedly even better, according to Chris Lilly.

Dave, sadly enough the reason I buy my chunks is because I don't own a saw of any kind, I have a woods for a backyard but it's city owned and mostly Elm,Pine and sweetgum. There are a few apple and cherry trees on my street but I never seem to be there when I need to be. I'll check a couple of orchards that are kinda close and see what they have. thanks for the input.

You're welcome, Don, and I completely understand. Even if it's available, I confess that "processing" your own smoke wood is a bit of a hassle, especially hardwoods. If you do come across any apple or cherry though, all it takes is a small pruning saw for the limbs or smaller trees.

Went last week and my local HD had a whole section for weber products and grills. I saw the big bags of apple and cherry for 20 dollars. I usually go to Lowes but they don't have as much selection as HD.

I picked up one of the big bags of Apple at my local HD for $20.
Also got a small bag of Pecan chunks as well - think that was about $6

Back