Holy Mole

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So after watching Bayless make his recipe Mole I knew I could do it too. I have used the pre-made versions and they were good so had high hopes for this.

So there are two things made to make Mole, first is the base which is usually Ancho Chili's, and the sauce which is added after the base is done and cooked down some.
I fresh ground some spices, Mex Cinnamon,, whole cloves and fresh ground black pepper and the Ancho's lined up

DSC_0569_zpsd7a576b2.jpg

Ancho's de-stemmed and seeded, roasted lightly in some hot veggie oil for a few seconds on each side, they turn a beautiful reddish, then in a bowl filled with hot tap water and a plate to keep them under for about half an hour

DSC_0571_zps7067521a.jpg

DSC_0572_zpse4db44c2.jpg

In the blender with some of the soak water and the rest cold tap water till just about covered, the base

DSC_0575_zpse766fda5.jpg

Sauce ingredients lined up
Toasted Sesame Seeds
Toasted Almonds
Raisins
Roasted Garlic and Tomatio's
Cloves Cinnamon Pepper all fresh ground
Mex Chocolate
Some , about a cup and a half of chicken broth
Some toaste stale bread
In the food processor until nice and smooth, then through a mesh strainer into another bowl

DSC_0578_zps37aede2a.jpg

Both blended together and on the stove to simmer for an hour or so

DSC_0579_zpsf09cd5bf.jpg

Broke out the best for tonight's cook, my all time favorite rock band hands down

DSC_0583_zps261971db.jpg

Pork Tenderloins salt and pepper only on indirect until 105, then a quick sear, and tonights lubricant, some nice Blood Sausage on too

DSC_0585_zps25902ce7.jpg

Roasted some Mex Onions, some yellow and orange peppers and all together in a open pan with the Mole, to simmer until meat is 140

DSC_0586_zps05bb0f0e.jpg

Done and heading in

DSC_0588_zps8a3c963a.jpg

Last edited:
mole is AWESOME stuff!
however, never had it with pork...
Looks FANTASTIC Bill!
Terrific choice of beverage too!

Tried making mole once, as often as we have it, I think it's best we stick with the ready to use versions...

Thanks Jim, this came out better for me than the jar kind and I froze a bunch for later use. Duck or Chicken is next, have not decided yet

Absolutely love this picture!

DSC_0588_zps8a3c963a.jpg

How'd you like their imperial stout? Can't say I've had anything bad from Weyerbacher

As a new guy around here, is there a beer paring section?

Look's really good Bill, One thing about mole is there is hundreds of different ways to make them & there all pretty damn good too.

Wow. I was going to bust your balls about being out of pages in that cookbook, but this looks amazing!
I am in awe of that sauce. Love the weyerbacher stuff too. A friend from Easton turned me on to them a few years back with "verboten" (?).

I gotta find a big bag of anchos now, b/c I want to try that fish marinade too.

Really top notch stuff.

I may have to get to WH station one of these days.

Great looking meal. My father makes mole from scratch and it is great on chicken, pork, duck. Looks like you got it down, Thanks for sharing Bill!

Back