High temp brisket

Hello All,

Using the high heat method, I cooked two 10lb packers and I got two different results. I cooked at a lid temp of 350. The brisket that started out on the top rack reached 170 approximately 2hrs into the cook. I foiled it and put it on the lower rack. When I stuck the probe into the brisket that was on the bottom, it was reading in the 150 range. It took 45 additional minutes to reach 170 before foiling. The brisket that started out on the top rack finished in 4 hrs, while the brisket that started out on the bottom finished in just under 5 hrs.

The 4hr cook was very moist, tender, but absolutely no bark. The longer cook was a bit less moist, a bit less tender, but good bark. Both were good and the time saving great, but the longer cook had all the qualities I look for in good brisket.

Is there some wiggle room with the temperature and / or when foiling occures? Could you keep it exposed to the heat longer (for the development of bark) without loosing too much moisture? Have any of you experimented with the process?

Thanks for posting this process; it is definitely something to keep playing with…

Q’n, Golf’n & Grill’n…… too many choices!
Gary

Gary,

I've only done one high heat as of yet, but on the first I used a paste instead of just rub.

It added IMO, a bit more substance ( but still not the traditional bark) to the surface than what I thought rub would.

Craig,

I used dry rub on both, and the flavor was very good on both. I am not sure why one had a good bark formation and none on the other. If an additional 45 minutes (the brisket on the lower rack had the bark) at a bit lower temp helps bark formation without loosing too much moisture it would be worth it for me. I am not certain why things turned out the way they did...

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n..... too many choices!
Gary

I did my first hi-temp brisket today. A 13 pound packer trimmed to about 10-1/2 pounds. I cooked it on my kettle and the smoker temp ranged from 325 to 400F - averaging around 375F. It took almost 5 hours for the meat to reach 170, then I foiled and it was 195 in one hour. I didn't think it needed it, but I added a couple splashes of beef broth when I rested it in the microwave.

The meat was moister and more tender than any previous brisket cook. I had over a cup of drippings after separating the fat. Good bark, too. I am convinced that this is the way to go.

Jim

Glad it worked out well Jim. It sure is a lot more convenient.

I did my second high temp brisket today. Put it on the smoker at 11:30 and was eating it by 6 pm.

Had to fight to get temps up early on, but the wsm settled nicely at 350 lid.

An 11 lb packer took about 4.5 hours total cook time, and came out terrific (again, another walmart crappy select cut). I pulled it when it was fork tender (actually probe tender) ...... (I dropped my therm and broke the remote earlier today).

Can't wait to do another one.

I tried this method yesterday. I was surprised on how good it came out. 6 pound packer done in 4 hours. I second the request for this method to be added to the cooking section.

I also tried it this Saturday with a 12# packer. Thought I'd try it in a Weber Kettle. Used the charcoal baskets on both sides with a Foil pan between. Made foil shields the length of the brisket tucked under each side to keep the fire from overheating the sides. Made foil "chutes" to direct the grease dripping off the ends into the pan. It turned out great! Very juicy!
I'll probably never do the low & slow again unless it's with butts.

Robert

I've read, re-read all the posts on high temp brisket cooks and didn't see any mention of the water pan. Is a water pan used for this method? If so, which one (original or Brinkman)? Is it full to start? Also, how much charcoal?

Bob W

I use an empty water pan. Foiling the pan and making a well with the foil will catch drippings for easier clean-up. Keeping the foil from touching the bottom of the pan will keep the drippings from burning.

I MM the start. I use a full ring. Shutting down the cooker after removing the meat preserves remaining coal for a future cook.

Thanks Kevin. I read your previous post, but somehow missed the part about the pan and amoount of fuel. I might do a high temp brisket flat next weekend and wanted to ensure I knew what to do.

Bob W

I both tent and leave room around the brisket as well, but make sure the foil is crimped together tightly. The brisket will throw off a good deal of liquid. Having room around and above it will contain the liquid but lessen the pressure on the foil.

Originally posted by Robert W:
Thanks Kevin. I read your previous post, but somehow missed the part about the pan and amoount of fuel. I might do a high temp brisket flat next weekend and wanted to ensure I knew what to do.

Bob W

I use a full ring and one chimney of lit lump.

I always have fuel left over.

As for the pan, foil it but leave some space off the bottom. The pan cleans up easy.

I used a 3/4 ring for a 6 lb packer with a small point. I used my normal pan... foiled standard pan, 1/3 full of clean sand, foiled.

I would like to piggy-back on Bill's question. Instead of wrapping in foil, has anyone placed their brisket in a disposable foil baking pan with foil over the top (crimped/sealed to the baking pan rim)? I have used this technique with ribs and have been very pleased with the outcome.

Bob W

Bob, it would depend on the size of the brisket. I was going to try the pan on my last cook but the packer was to big. If you had a smaller packer it should fit,with the pan, on the top rack.

Well, I tried a high temp brisket yesterday and wasn't happy with the results.

The brisket was tender and it had a good smoke ring, however it was very fatty and very greasy (even though I trimmed it the same amount as I usually do).

Also, I found that it lacked flavor. The meat flavor was there but I couldn't taste the rub or the smoke flavor.

I had eaten a high temp brisket at the CBBQA Q-fest this past weekend and that one was great. Very tasty and not too greasy. I've got to figure out where I went wrong. It certainly was more convenient to only have to cook for five hours instead of 12.

Bill

Depending on the brisket, on average I'd say I trim more fat than usual as there is less time for it to render.

On a long cook, I used to basically trim just the hard fat.....on high heat cooks I'll trim some of the fat that I used to leave on, fromh under the point and the fat cap as well on the flat.

On the last one I did, I also separated the point about an hour and a half into the cook.

Back