High temp brisket

I'm a hair under 75' long. We'll see--maybe I can swing by on my way in and see if a) I can get in there and b) they have product. Maybe c) I park alongside and schlep the bags to the trailer! I'm needing to figure out something as I might have a half-bag of WG left. Going to Wal-Mart, for me, is like going to the dentist. And in Okee these days all they have is K lump (not impressed), or so a friend who goes there tells me. And now that the rainy season's wrapping up and outside cooking becomes the norm...

I cooked a 4lb flat this weekend at 300 degress. I foiled it at 165 degress and he Brisket cooked in just under 2.5 hours. I injected it with FAB B about 2 hours before cooking and let it rest for an hour and a half in foil before slicing it. It was one of my best briskets to date. The FAB may have made it slighty greasy but it was great.

It's only a bit more than I last paid. I appreciate the offer Woody, very much. I think I'll try to score some Picnic if I can and see if Craig has a clue.
icon_biggrin.gif

Kevin,

I stopped by Sanwa today....here's the skinny:

No problem on bringing in the rig, but it is recommended that you call them prior to arriving, as there is definitely enough room to maneuver and they may be able to clear a lane for you.

As a worst case, I'd leave the rig on Hillsborough Ave for a few minutes (it's 3 lanes each way of moderate city traffic) until they fugure out what to do with you.

They have numerous loading dock slots and fork lifts on site.

I also recommend that you call prior to make sure that they have enough in stock (today they had 3 full pallets of Picnic), in this case I'd call two days out.

They replenish vegetable and meat inventory in a couple of hours, but I think it might take a day to get Picnic.

Address is 2621 East Hillsborough Ave 33610
Phone is 813-234-8428 fax is 813-234-8131

They are mostly Asian, so be patient....really nice folks.

Here is my email address-

rangeman1@yahoo.com

If you wish, I'll give you my phone #'s if you need help.

Ps- if you have a reefer, the meats are pretty good value (pork tenderloins 2.29 lb, bone in butts 1.35, ribeye 4.75 lb, packers 1.65 lb)

and the vegetables are fantastic deals as well.

In case anyone is still interested in "High temp brisket", here's what I did with a 6 pound flat on the kettle Sunday.

Set up for indirect, 20 unlit, 1 smallish chunk of wood, then 6 lit per side. It looked like this.

Reached target temp within 20 minutes. There were a couple of spikes over 400 degrees during the cook, but closing the bottom vent brought them down quickly. For the most part, temps were very stable.

When I checked at the 2 hour mark, the meat was at 176 degrees. A few degrees higher than I wanted, but hey, I was busy! Here's what it looked like. Double wrapped in HD foil, back to the cooker it went. I didn't add any liquid, and this may have been a mistake (see results below.)

I didn't monitor meat temp, but went stricktly by time (another mistake?) After an hour and 45 minutes in the foil, my fork told me it was "almost" done as Kevin described, so I brought it in, wrapped it in a couple of bath towels and stuck it in the microwave to rest for an hour.

The finished product looked good, smelled and tasted good, but was just a little tougher than normal. Not bad, mind you, just not quite as tender as the limited briskets I've done in the past.

All in all, I'd say this was a very viable way to cook a brisket. Maybe a little liquid in the foil would have helped. Maybe this was just a tough piece of meat! My best guess though, was I simply should have cooked it another 30 minutes or so.

Sometimes beer does funny things to you!
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the idea Craig,

JimT

Looks great.

I think it needed to render and/or rest a bit more.

The fluid IMO, is pretty important during rest.

Try it again, I may do another packer this weekend if time permits.

Craig, would you have added about 1/4 cup of beef bullion to the meat before resting? You mentioned adding liquids while resting. I'm going to do two packers this weekend with the high heat method.

Did two briskets today using the high heat and I must say I'm thoroughly impressed. I put on two 11 lb Wally World packers at 7:45am when the lid hit 340, foiled when the internals were between 170 and 175 and pulled them off at 11:30 am. They were like jello. WAABAA, WAABAA. Put them in the cooler to rest. Couldn't resist. Cut a piece off after they had a two hour nap and it tasted really good. Moist,nice smoke ring,and great aroma. Not much left of any kind of bark. Put them in the frig. Will have some good eating tonight. Gave the other packer to a guy I know who's been dying for brisket. Forgot to put the beef broth in when putting in the cooler but they had so much liquid in the foil I don't know if it was missed. Drained all the excess juices off before putting in frig and saved. I couldn't believe how fast these babies got done.

Another convert!

Paul,

We don't live too far apart. Around here, the WW packers are "select" grade. Same with you?

JimT

Jim, to be honest , I didn't even check to see if they were select or choice. Had some brisket for dinner last night. Warmed it up in the microwave. I thought the only way it would have tasted better would be if I had sliced and eaten right after the resting period. The brisket was darn good just being warmed up!!!! My only complaint, if you could call it that, was their was hardly any bark. I suppose I could have thrown it back on the WSM for a little bit to firm the outside up.

OK, giving this high temp brisket a try. Put on a 4 lb flat at 2:15 pst. Mustard slather, Jacks Old South BBQ rub, Minionized Best of the West lump and hickory smoke (of course). Coming up on *325 lid now.
I'll be back....

2 hrs. in foil. Set covered for about 45 min. best brisket I ever made. Tender, juicy, outstanding. Bark not so great but the flavor and finish makes up for it.

Way to go, Jack!!!! I'm still eating on mine from this weekend. This was so easy I offered to make another one for my friend on Sunday.

Just a note...that may or may not be relevant...

The "Minion Method" refers to a procedure for lighting your charcoal and getting a sustained lowheat burn.

The high and fast method of cooking brisket is probably better called the "Mixon" method as it was Myron Mixon who first perfected it.

I don't think any of us are referring to this method as the Minion, just the start-up which is how I start even this sort of cook, just to allow a little more time for smokering formation.

Paul-- I've never bought meat at Wal-Mart but I think I've heard--here I believe-that all Wal-Marts that sell packers sell Selects.

Jack-- Good show. I thought you'd like it.

Back