High temp brisket

icon_eek.gif

I'm very interested in doing a brisket using the high temp method. Can someone tell me the "how to" or where I can find this info out.
Many thanks

Yes. There is a compilation a[[roach posted here. If you have questions you can post them in this thread or in that one, either way.

Welcome to the board.

I would like to say that I've tried the "low n slow" method a few times and always have never been super satisfied.

FIRST time trying the high heat method I was EXTREMELY satisfied with the results, also so was everyone else at the party!

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the post that Kevin K. linked to!

Well I finally got around to cooking this brisket that I've had in my freezer a couple weeks now. I put it on today about 1.5 hours ago. Pit temp was 225 when I put it on, up to 335 after one hour. Target temp is 325. I plan on checking the temp at the 2 hour mark to see where it's at, foiling at 170, and taking to tender. Using some white oak for smoke today.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
How did it go?

Very well. On at 2 pm, 225. By 3 pm I was at ~325 where it remained for the rest of the cook. At 4:30, the brisket was at 170* so I foiled it. Took another 3 hours in foil until it was done. I purposely went for overdone, since I've been tending to undercook them lately. While it was slightly overdone in spots, the majority of it was spot on.

I think in the future I will skip the ramp time since it didn't give me much of a smoke ring anyways, and it just lengthened the cook by 30 minutes or so.

Definitely a winner.

Just a question on definition of terms. If BBQ is traditionaly done low and slow, and roasting is traditionaly done HH, relatively, is doing a brisket in a smoker HH, really roasting with the addition of smoke?

I suppose it would be grill roasting by definition. Whatever it is, it worked for my brisket. I've done ribs in the 325+ range with good success too.

Here is how I classify BBQ and Grilling.

BBQ=Food cooked over indirect heat using smoke wood as flavor.

Grilling=Food cooked over direct heat.

So I still consider HH brisket to be BBQ.

Just like cooking styles, there are so many ways to define some words. Just think how we explain, ideas!!!

Happy smokin'

Mark

Well I broke down and done my first HH Brisky. The WSM settled in at 300 without proping the door or lid so that is where I left it.

Lump and a foiled empty pan and a 12 lb packer.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Took 6.5 hrs total. Foiled at 160 and unfoiled when tender for 15 min to firm the bark back up and then tented for 30 before slicing.

I have to say it was very good!

Thanks to Craig and Kevin K

Back