High temp brisket

I'm hosting a huge party in a couple weeks and would like some pointers before I get things rolling. I've got 2 ~15 lb packers ready to go with the paste + rub method. What changes should I make to smoke both of these at the same time? I haven't seen anyone try 2 at a time using the high-heat method. Also, I love burnt ends and the point part of the brisket, those who have put the point back on the smoker after removing the flat how long do you put the point back on? Do you foil it? How successful was the point (compared to low and slow) after doing so.

If I need to do two I am usually in a situation where I need to do them in advance so, because I am decidedly not one to hang about the cooker, I simply do them in succession. On the occasions where this is neither warranted nor possible I do one on each grate and switch them twice during each cooking stage (unfoiled and foiled) so that the timing works out better and neither overcooks.

I am not a burnt end fan (well, I like them when I make them* - though I love the point) but do do them from time to time. With a HH cook I separate the point from flat when the brisket comes off the grill (right there on the table next to the cooker) and return the point to the grate while I cart in the flat to the counter to rest and prep the pan and sauce for the ends. A bit later (when the bark on the point has dried nicely) I remove the point, chunk it (also on the table next to the cooker) and pan it with whatever sauce I'm using, taking care not to oversauce - just 2-3 tablespoons of sauce per point, plus one or two of whatever rub I used. This goes into the cooker and I immediately close off all lower vents (and secure the door, as I nearly always crack it to get the temp up). (I might close the lid vent by half or so if the temp does not start dropping in short order - I like the temp to drop to < 225?.) An hour or two or three later they're done. Check for barkiness and flavor after an hour, each 30 min thereafter.

* My issue with burnt ends is that so often I am served chopped brisket point positively swimming in sauce. Yuck. That ain't burnt ends.

Thanks for your advice.

A couple questions:

1. Do you find that with 2 briskets the cooking time is increased? I know usually it takes you 4 hours for 1 brisket, I'm assuming 2 will most likely take 30 minutes more. Maybe 2 hours uncovered and then 2 1/2 foiled? (Then test for tenderness every 10 minutes around the 2 hour 15 minute point)

2. Would separating the point from the flat right after the brisket is done risk all the juices leaking out, maybe I should let it rest 20 minutes, close the vents and then separate the point and put it on for an hour? Also is there reason you're saucing the point before putting it back on?

1. Yes. But I would start checking at the same time: just before the 4-hour mark.

2. No. There isn't a lot of moisture transference via the fat line that separates the two. You will get juices though so separate the two over the foil that flat will remain on. But you can wait to separate if the timing works better for you. Alternatively, separate sooner - say, around 130-135. Either way, add some rub to the exposed area after separation, before returning the point to the cooker. (If you separate early, add some rub to the exposed area on the flat as well.)

I put the point back on un-sauced to firm the bark, about an hour. Then I chunk it, toss in a little sauce and a bit of rub, pan it, and return to the cooker. The sauce tightens and caramelizes during the pan cooking, something I am looking for. You can certainly chunk, pan, finish, then sauce later - but I am not a fan of this method. I never sauce ribs during cooking, but burnt ends I do - just not very much. As noted, I don't make burnt ends often, far preferring the point for other uses - just occasionally.

I'm not one to inject briskets either way but one could certainly try it. I do find that packers usually throw off quite a bit of moisture during the foiled stage. This would likely increase substantially and might necessitate checking for done sooner.

Kevin, "Others",

I'm wondering if it changes the equation at all to "foil" in a foil covered foil pan versus the couple sheets of foil as Kevin describes? (more space in pan versus sheets wrapped) If all things are the same it would seem foil pan is little easier to manipulate and insure no holes and lost juices! Down side would be cost. Thoughts? Thanks!

It might change it a bit for flats, depending on the flat; not so much for packers. I am not a fan of foil pans so don't use them, but many here use them for high heat (and other) cooks all the time.

I'm wondering if it changes the equation at all to "foil" in a foil covered foil pan versus the couple sheets of foil as Kevin describes? (more space in pan versus sheets wrapped) If all things are the same it would seem foil pan is little easier to manipulate and insure no holes and lost juices! Down side would be cost. Thoughts? Thanks!

I haven't see a pan that fits a packer and in a 18.5" wsm.

I do hate when I loose juice, especially with butts.

J, I saw one listed one of the posts about high heat brisket that was oval shaped an under 18" long cause I asked the same question

I tried one of these and got a pretty mushy bark. I think either the packer threw off too much moisture or I foiled too soon? The bark looked nice and set before I foiled it. Should I have thrown it back on the smoker unfoiled for about 15 minutes before letting it rest?

I usually have my brisket resting in a cooler in the kitchen for an hour or so (I like to have it done so I can help make the rest of the meal). What I did with the last one was to pop it in a hot oven for a few minutes. It worked well.

I plan on trying this out next weekend. I just have one question - what is the optimal hold time after cooking? Right now, my low and slow briskets rest anywhere from 2-4 hours, and was curious what would be the best for one cooked at 325. I will be cooking until tender, then resting tented for 15 minutes before wrapping and holding.

Others might/will have differing views but in my opinion: zero. I don't hold if I can avoid it. I cook till tender, remove, remove most of the juices from the foil, then rest, tented, about 20-30 min; then I serve.

If I have to hold for some reason I do exactly the above but rest 15 minutes (as you are suggesting) to allow some excess heat to dissipate, then wrap and hold till I need to serve, I hope no more than an hour but sometimes it goes longer.

Imo, there is no advantage in holding brisket if cooked till tender. It only needs to rest to redistribute juices. Sometimes one must, but it is not my preference. The results are usually acceptable if holding is required however, but I strongly recommend getting rid of some of the heat before wrapping to lessen the chance of overcooking in the foil.

Thanks Kevin. I rest my briskets now because I want them off the smoker before I turn the heat up to do ribs and chicken at competitions. If I find the high-heat method for briskets to work for me, I won't have that problem and won't need to rest nearly as long. I do need to err on the side of holding, versus not being done by turn-in times, which is why I was wondering if there was an optimal rest period that I could budget into my timeline. I'm going to cook one up on Friday and see how it works out.

i suspect that holding time has a lot to do with the meat itself. kinda hard to nail it. i wrap in foil and a thick towel and hold for at least a hour. works for me.

i suspect that holding time has a lot to do with the meat itself
Yes. And the cooker temp it's coming out of.

Pat-- If you need to err on the holding side you can either do as noted above, or you can cook till just shy of tender, wrap and rest/hold, and let residual cooking finish it. I prefer the former as it confirms the tenderness I'm seeking. Depending on your comp set-up, it's also possible to cook till tender, rest tented, then hold warm - not hot - till needed, if holding needs to be lengthened. The operative concern is holding at a temp low enough so that no further cooking occurs.

I gave this a shot and I am a 100% believer. best brisket i've ever made.

I'm I likely to run into any surprises if I'm doing 2 or 3 13 pound whole briskets with this method on a 22" WSM? I'm cooking for about 24 people this saturday for lunch.

Back