High temp brisket flat

Steven Hubbard

TVWBB Member
I used to cook only packers, but I've recently found that 4-5lb flat cooked at high temp is such an easy cook that it can be a staple. I can decide Saturday morning that I want brisket for supper and pull it off with minimum prep time.

Yesterday I got to try one with my new MAC knife which made for super-thin slices. Awesome. It's hard to keep them hot, but they were so tasty.

What does everyone do with the fat cap? I leave it on for the cook, but does anyone remove it before slicing?

Also, does anyone add beef broth while the brisket is foiled? Does that leave you moister meat when it's done?

my wife loves her mac knives. as to the fat i leave it on and then cut off what i don't want to eat later. i stopped foiling my briskets so no idea wat to do there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, does anyone add beef broth while the brisket is foiled? Does that leave you moister meat when it's done? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I add nothing to the foil. I do packers though. They throw off so much in juices adding anything is unwarranted. (I find packers such easy cooks they can be a staple too. 4 hours start to finish; hard to go wrong.)

I trim fat when I slice for serving if I have guests. If not, I don't. I eat it.

If you have juices from the foil keep some. Defat them if desired then add a little butter and a smidge of Dijon. Whisk well to emulisify and heat till hot, whisking often. Paint this on each side of the slice as you slice. Move the slices to a warm platter; serve. The slices will be serving-temp hot.

I haven't done a high heat brisket before...what is the approx time per lb at 325ish? Is there anything special required during the cook?

I am thinking of buying a decent size flat this weekend and trying a high heat brisket cook.

Thanks!

Just curious how a packer or flat injected with FAB-B or Butcher BBQ Marinade come out on a High Heat cook? Anyone doing this for comps?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I haven't done a high heat brisket before...what is the approx time per lb at 325ish? Is there anything special required during the cook? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The first question isn't germane. I do packers; they all come in at 4 hours, give or take 10 min, irrespective of weight. The same would hold for quality flats. Cooktemps and process details might alter this somewhat.

As to the second question, the only thing you need is foil. What you don't need, however, is to know the internal temp of the brisket once it is foiled. Resist any temptation to go by internal -- in fact, I always suggest not checking the temp at all. Brisket tenderness has nothing to do with internal temp -- no matter what temps you cook them, low/slow or high/fast.

See this thread for a discussion. See this one for an example. Here is another.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I haven't done a high heat brisket before...what is the approx time per lb at 325ish? Is there anything special required during the cook? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The first question isn't germane. I do packers; they all come in at 4 hours, give or take 10 min, irrespective of weight. The same would hold for quality flats. Cooktemps and process details might alter this somewhat.

As to the second question, the only thing you need is foil. What you don't need, however, is to know the internal temp of the brisket once it is foiled. Resist any temptation to go by internal -- in fact, I always suggest not checking the temp at all. Brisket tenderness has nothing to do with internal temp -- no matter what temps you cook them, low/slow or high/fast.

See this thread for a discussion. See this one for an example. Here is another. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you very much for the information and links, going to try one very soon.

I should clarify my original post. I have done several packers with high-heat. It's as foolproof as any cook I've done on WSM.

I have recently done just the flats a couple of times, and they are so convenient with almost nothing to clean up. I just don't get nearly as much juice. I may have to just stick with packers. With last week's leftovers, I made brisket chili for the first time. Wow was that a treat!

Thanks.

That's the main reason I do packers-- for the leftover point for chili, made into a sauce, made into a filling, whatever. (THe other is that I do not like the look of the flats around home.)

Point freezes well and can be turned into so many things.

No, you won't get as much in the way of juices with a flat. (They the juices--defat and freeze well too.)

Okay, I'm dumb here. I've been reading for several months and I don't know the difference between a packer and a flat.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey Marlene-

Chris' Brisket Selection page has some good info you might be interested in.

A packer is a word for a whole brisket, normally untrimmed and sold in cryovac (completely sealed in plastic). It looks like this in the package.

A whole brisket is made up of two parts, the Flat and the Point. The flat section is flatter, leaner, and better for slicing than the point section. Some grocers/butchers will separate the flat from the point and sell it separately (at a higher price). You might find them in cryovac like a full packer, but I normally see them on a styrofoam tray with plastic wrap, like a steak or ground beef.

Everyone's got their own preference whether they like cooking a whole packer or just the flat, but there's the difference at least.

EDIT: I changed the picture link. Sorry Chris, I forget that the message boards are separate from the main site...

You'll need to paste the photo URL into your browser address box, because my server won't display photos that are linked from other websites...prevents theft of my bandwidth.

If you take a look at the Virtual Brisket and click either of the "Rotate" buttons 2 times, you get a good view of the flat running across the bottom (the lean meat) and the point is buried within that big hump of fat on the top right. Click the "Trimmed - Yes" button to get a slightly better view of the point.

Chris

Back