High Heat Brisket Method - A Compilation

Quick question, and I tried scanning through the topic for the answer. But am I setting myself up for less-than-ideal results by simply using an untrimmed flat purchased from Costco? I do have access to whole packers, but it's a bit inconvenient for me to get to the supplier.

I'd like to cook brisket this weekend, so your communal response/advice is greatly appreciated...thanks!

I've only done high heat a few times with a whole packer. However, I wouldn't think there would be much of a hit by using only the untrimmed flat.

The times I've done HH is with a Walmart ungraded brisket and results were just "OK". I was able to find a "choice" graded at Smart and Final and will try that next. The ungraded was a bit too lean and I was getting used to the HH method so I'm sure that contributed to the less than ideal result.

I wanted to briefly chime in with my success story. I had two hunks of brisket provided to me for smoking by a friend. My friend scored 40 lbs of brisket on mark down, took each packer and cut them roughly in half, then froze them. What I got was a 4 lb tip and a 5 lb flat. Oh and I suggested next time that he NOT cut the packers up.

We were planning on a Sunday afternoon feast so I was fretting over what time to start a smoke (midnight or a little later perhaps) when another friend who had tried both the midnight cook and this high heat method encouraged me to go high heat. I"M GLAD HE DID. It exceeded my expectations. Several of my guests proclaimed that it was the best brisket they had ever had :).

Since I had two pieces I decided to vary the rubs a little. For the tip I used "Jims all night rub" as listed in the original recipe except that I put the sugar back in the rub. For the flat I used coffee and cardamom paste rub found here: http://simpledailyrecipes.com/4359/coffee-cardamom-brisket-rub/

I used large hunks of apple wood and I chose to put the meat on as soon as I added the hot coals (meaning that I did not wait for the grill temp to come up before starting). Maintaining the target temp of 325-350 was challenging as it was a very windy day. Often the lid temp would read at 300 so I kept fiddling with the side door. Then in one very brief period the temp shot up to 400. That really scared me since I had sugar in both rubs and didn't want that to burn. Eventually I found a somewhat tenuous truce on the temp by holding the door open about an 1" and sitting on my hands when the temp was on the low side, just trying to be patient and let it come up on it's own.

When it came time to foil wrap it, there was a rain storm approaching so I decided to finish in the oven. At least then I could tightly control the temp and I would no longer even care about the weather.

As I said, it was really good. As far as the two rubs, there wasn't a whole lot of difference between them. Next time I'll only use Jims as it was a little easier to use (the coffee paste didn't want to stay on where as the dry rub stuck wherever I put it).

I want to add a shout out of my appreciation to those who make this site so great. Whether it's the simple step by step recipes (instructions) or the many many contributors to the forums who share their experiences and knowledge. This site is an example of the good stuff.

Bear

Last edited:
I've been doing low and slow brisket for my family for a couple of years now and had really good results. Since my in-laws are only familiar with true Texas brisket, I've felt very good about this.

But I've been tempted by Kevin's HH posts for the past year now and it's time to try. Searching out this thread is fantastic!

I just got two 14 lb+ briskets from Walmart -- both the best looking I've ever seen. The thin ends are about 1 1/4 -1 1/2" thick and the fat cap less than what I've seen as the normal huge pad. One (the left-pointing) is in the freezer the other will be HH on Sat. for my Mom's 89th.

I'll open a separate thread of my own on this cook, but I wanted to say "thanks" in advance to all who helped and posted here and especially Kevin who continues to be my inspiration. I'll also put an "outcome" post here to close this out.

Rich

Ok, just to wrap up on this, I did do the HH method on a 14 lb brisket this past Saturday. The brisket came out tasting great but too dry and I had several difficulties in the process. I'm going to open a new thread on this and hopefully ya'll can help me figure out the problem -- because I'm gonna do this again! :wsm:

Rich

I wouldn't use any sugar for a HH cook.

I've been doing HH cooks for years now, and still enjoy the process ending up with consistent results.

Guys,

First of all, thanks so much for all this great information. I am relatively new to the community, having bought a Smokey mountain cooker about three years ago with no prior experience using a smoker. To say i am in love with the cooker, the process, the website and this forum is an understatement.

i have tried three midnight brisket cooks and have never been truly satisfied with the results, with lack of moistness being my primary problem. My son and I finally tried the high heat method with a 14 lb superior grade packer brisket from Restaurant Depot, employing just a dry rub, and we were blown away by the outcome. We got great bark, great smoke and the desired tenderness on our first try. We actually screwed up a bit as we were smoking the brisket while working on a carpentry project and took our eye off the ball, resulting in placing the brisket in the foil at the three hour mark with an internal temperature (measured horizontally in the flat) at 185. We completed the cook at the five hour mark after a probe went in like the proverbial butter. Lid temperatures the first two hours stayed around the 325 mark, so we propped open the door and the rest of the cook was in the 350-375 range. Again, the combination of great bark and super moist tender meat blew us away. Having read that this result sometimes did not always happen to others who more closely the recommended change to the foil at 170 degrees, I am wondering if our accidental variation to the recipe is a refinement worth repeating.

Thank you so much from Blighty

brisket.jpg

Back