Hi....My Name's Chucky!

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
Sorry...couldn't resist, being Halloween season and the new "Chucky" TV series coming out.

Just been wanting to Q a chuck roast (have never smoked one before) and even though it was ridiculously expensive, just picked one up when I saw it sitting there on a whim.

So, also trying (again, first time) some Kosmos "Reserve Blend" injection too. Coated in mustard and salt/pepper/onion/garlic rub.

The Weber Summit S6 is totally locked in at 235 degrees using some new Vermont Castings hardwood lump charcoal as well as some cherry wood chunks underneath, so I'll see how it goes. I'll pull and wrap at 165ish. I'll toss up some finish pics later...

1635101482233.png

Sorry...couldn't resist, being Halloween season and the new "Chucky" TV series coming out.

Just been wanting to Q a chuck roast (have never smoked one before) and even though it was ridiculously expensive, just picked one up when I saw it sitting there on a whim.

So, also trying (again, first time) some Kosmos "Reserve Blend" injection too. Coated in mustard and salt/pepper/onion/garlic rub.

The Weber Summit S6 is totally locked in at 235 degrees using some new Vermont Castings hardwood lump charcoal as well as some cherry wood chunks underneath, so I'll see how it goes. I'll pull and wrap at 165ish. I'll toss up some finish pics later...

View attachment 39524
Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. I am turning into a huge believer in injections.

Agree with Chuck...looks like a great cook coming. I didn't know Vermon Castings made hardwood lump...would definitely try that

The Vermont Casting lump I found at a recent trip though the local Canadian Tire store....seems to light fast, burn well and nice and clean and hot. I would buy it again for sure. I can't see any markings on it to say if it is a re-branded product from another manufacturer.

1635117950697.png

Pulled the roast off at 155 internal temp....seemed to stall there forever, and wrapped in foil and into the oven (at 350). I am not one that needs to keep the grill going after wrapping. Heat is heat!

1635118053417.png

I pulled it off the grill at 155, and put it in the house oven (foil wrapped) to come up to temp and get tender. Unfortunately, it was still probing a bit stiff in some areas by 6:30pm (a little under 200 degrees) so to be honest, we ate leftover Chinese food as I had a meeting to get to at 7:00pm and had to run before it was done. Left my wife instructions on probing etc. She took it out to rest when it probed nice and she mentioned it was around 204 when that happened.

So, it ended up in the fridge, uncut and I'll be eating it tonight! I think I'll lop off a big chunk and sous-vide it back to temp. Not really quite sure how to eat it to be honest. Think some sandwiches maybe...

Sous vide 165 for a bit. Maybe broil afterwards or oven it. Should be awesome. I would eat it with my hands, but but gf would yell at me. So try silverware, mashed potatoes, at least two beverages, towel, TV remote,

Well, I would do THAT again....wow it was good. Not fall apart to the point of pulled beef, but so tender and juicy. Made up buns with coleslaw, horseradish mayo, and BBQ sauce/chipotle sauce.

1635209151895.png

I pulled it off the grill at 155, and put it in the house oven (foil wrapped) to come up to temp and get tender. Unfortunately, it was still probing a bit stiff in some areas by 6:30pm (a little under 200 degrees) so to be honest, we ate leftover Chinese food as I had a meeting to get to at 7:00pm and had to run before it was done. Left my wife instructions on probing etc. She took it out to rest when it probed nice and she mentioned it was around 204 when that happened.

So, it ended up in the fridge, uncut and I'll be eating it tonight! I think I'll lop off a big chunk and sous-vide it back to temp. Not really quite sure how to eat it to be honest. Think some sandwiches maybe...
Tacos. Eat more tacos 🌮

1635218033629.jpeg

Last edited:

Back