Hi from the UK

Nicko - Grecocelt

Hi All
Morning from Carlisle in the UK. Have been into BBQ for more than 20 years starting out with the little cheap grills from garden centres, moving onto a Mecco Swinger, then a cheap gasser. Moved back to charcoal around 5 years ago with a 22inch Mastertouch which is great but have yearned for a charcoal summit grilling centre for years. Finally took the plunge this week getting a good deal on an ex display model - waiting on delivery next week 😝 Have watched every YouTube video on the Summit dozens of times!

Away from BBQ I’m a big football fan supporting Leeds United - and in the US version of the game follow the Titans having visited Nashville back in 2011.

Nick

Welcome, Nick! Chelsea fan here (only PL match I've been able to attend in person was at Stamford Bridge), but enjoying seeing Leeds in the top flight after a long spell!

I'm sure that you are going to love your Summit. Check in here with us and show us what you're cooking!!

Rich

Hi Rich love of BBQ can put football rivalries aside! I’ll definitely post some results as soon as I get to grips with it. Very exciting - good to see if I can do it justice.

Hi Nick
Always good to read about another Uk member. Must be getting a bit parky up there 🤣
This is a brilliant site as you will have gathered. I hope you’ll cook your Christmas turkey and stuffing etc on your summit! Look forward to hearing about your summit experiences
Cheers
Neil

Hi Nick
Always good to read about another Uk member. Must be getting a bit parky up there 🤣
This is a brilliant site as you will have gathered. I hope you’ll cook your Christmas turkey and stuffing etc on your summit! Look forward to hearing about your summit experiences
Cheers
Neil
Hi Neil - it is indeed getting a bit parky - still one positive of this lockdown has been that having been cooped up working at home primarily since April I took a trip into the lakes in the week and succumbed finally to the lure of the summit. So trying to focus on the positives! A big call to cook the Christmas Turkey on the bad boy I struggle timing everything as it is on Christmas Day - we might end up eating on Boxing Day!

Another Chelsea fan(sometimes) but, you are right Nick, fondness for BBQ supersedes sports rivalries!
Grand day in Michigan for smoking 75, sunny, not a lot of wind.
I need to do a few more tweaks but, this is making it quite pleasant.B624F81E-D9A1-494D-9845-3A67EAFEA7C1.jpeg

Hi Neil - it is indeed getting a bit parky - still one positive of this lockdown has been that having been cooped up working at home primarily since April I took a trip into the lakes in the week and succumbed finally to the lure of the summit. So trying to focus on the positives! A big call to cook the Christmas Turkey on the bad boy I struggle timing everything as it is on Christmas Day - we might end up eating on Boxing Day!
Get a few trial cooks in, use a double probe and try out the apple brine recipe 👍 I think that was my first wsm cook and nobody died🤣

I’m sure you’ll find after just a few cooks you’ll be hitting your target temps. You’ll never walk alone on this forum - had to end on a footballing note!

Get a few trial cooks in, use a double probe and try out the apple brine recipe 👍 I think that was my first wsm cook and nobody died🤣

I’m sure you’ll find after just a few cooks you’ll be hitting your target temps. You’ll never walk alone on this forum - had to end on a footballing note!
Marching on Together Neil obviously 😂 I will give that a try

So having taken delivery on Wednesday, seasoned on Thursday and with a day off on Friday the grill was fired up for the first cook. Nothing too challenging a spatchcocked chicken with Angus & Oink Big Phat Greek Souvlaki & Gyro Rub cooked indirect. Really moist and flavoursome. Saturday was the first big cook with 4 racks of Baby Back and two Beef Short Ribs. The grill performed superbly and held temp even in the face of a late afternoon monsoon! So easy to adjust temp and wouldn’t be without the Ink Bird remote thermometer. Went dry rub on both and steered clear of sugar as have been on the keto diet since July. Ribs very tender (over a bit as they were wrapped too long as I wasn’t going out mid cloud burst to tend to them) overall very nice but I definitely prefer a sweeter stickier rib. Never cooked beef short ribs before so was happy with how they turned out.454A8D0A-896E-4249-A816-CE3E25FE4DC4.jpeg33BFEBA7-B31A-4D7B-BEC8-905C2CCA1244.jpeg031B0DFA-724F-4A90-A144-CA880CD76423.jpeg

That’s a great debut👍Especially in such squally weather
the A and O rubs are excellent aren’t they..?
Turkey on Christmas Day is nailed on!

Welcome Nicko,
HUGE EPL Fan here! I am really happy to see Leeds United back were they belong, but I will be rooting against them my they play my Arsenal next week. Congrats on the Charcoal Summit Grill. I love my Master Touch and my WSM 14, but would love to get a Summit Charcoal. Look forward to your future cooks in the photo gallery forum.
Michael

Hi Michael that should be a good game. Once we get our players back and tighten the defence a little we will give anyone a good game. I had hankered after a Summit for years and haven’t been disappointed in it this far. I will be sure to post some cooks. I’ve asked for a rotisserie for the mastertouch for Christmas so will be fiddling about with that also. This lockdown has multiplied my fascination with bbq so at least something positive has come out of it.

Nick

Back