Hi From Kentucky Everybody!

MoHalp

Hi Everybody,

My name is Mo. I am from Northern Kentucky, just south of Cincinnati, Ohio. I started smoking on a Brinkman electric smoker that was given to me as a gift about 20 years ago. Made a lot of pretty good pork shoulder and ribs on that unit. When the electric element burned up after about 4 years of use, I took it out and ran charcoal in it for 3 or 4 years until the bottom burned out of it.

After that I started smoking on my Weber kettle grill. Again, pretty decent results but still wished I had a dedicated smoker. I bought a used New Braunfels offset on Craigslist about 3 years ago that I have had every intention of modifying (add silicone gaskets, move smokestack, add thermometers, add heat plates, etc.) but with work, kids, and everything else, have never gotten around to it.

Still dreaming of a dedicated smoker, I surfed the web evaluating various smokers. This site had a lot to do with me deciding on the 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain. I found one on Craigslist, new in the box, for $200 that I bought about 3 weeks ago. I couldn't be happier!

So far, I have added casters, ran it through an initial "all vents open" burn and two scrap meat smokes, and smoked a "bacon bomb". I am amazed at how well this unit holds temperature and how long it will burn on a fairly light load of charcoal!

I can't wait to learn more on this forum so that I can get the most out of this awesome smoker!

Welcome to the forum Mo. This is a great place to learn and also to share. Remember, we love pictures here. Congrats on that great WSM deal. You will love it.

Thanks Bob! Here's a couple of pictures of my caster mod. I took the casters off of a broken cart at work. Frame was made out of some scrap 1"x4"

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Mo. I'm still hoping to get a WSM some day congratulations on yours. By the way I was unable to view the pics you posted.

Sorry about the pics. Hope this works!
Smoker%20Casters%203_zps9cfuglup.png

http://s483.photobucket.com/user/mohalp/media/Smoker Casters 1_zpsznjwb56j.jpg.html?

Just wanted to say "Hi" Mo, I just finished a 7 lb. pork shoulder, letting it rest right now. I also added casters but just drilled through the bottom of the legs and bolted them in, rolls great, a bit top heavy, have to be careful.
Bob

Mo;
Welcome to the forum. By the way, if you want to run some "product" up here (Hamilton, Ohio) for me to check out, I'll be happy to do so!:cool:.

You chose well when you picked the Weber 18.5 WSM. It is a DANDY smoker. If you like chicken, look into Chris' "Hot and fast chicken":

http://virtualweberbullet.com/chicken4.html

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back