Hey you guys running ATC's

Jeff R

TVWBB Pro
I'm on the fence about adding one. I can hum along in the 275 range all day but would want it to be ale to have better control at lower temps. The reason I'm not sure it will help is that after a slow ramp up with only 9 KBB lit, I have all the bottom vents shut and the top at 1/2 and still can't get back down to 200. She's locked in at 214. I'm makin bacon! So with a seasoned, in round pit, how will a ATC help me

Jeff,

I doubt an atc would help if you can't keep the temperatures down when running in 'manual mode' with all vents closed. Wonder if looking at why you can't get the temperatures down would be of more help first. What if you took a serious look at how many coals you're firing and then try changing so that less coals are fired at once. If you can get that under control, then maybe an atc would be of service to you.

Bob

Last edited:
I recommend running the charcoal in a 'C' shape and only light one end. Some folks call this a snake. You can control low temps this way naturally aspirated (sensa ATC).

Dwain- Cool idea ! At least there are limited coals that can fire at any one time.

Jeff - If using this method works well and you find you need to keep a vent at least partially open, an atc may just work.

... better half & myself did our 2nd kcbs cbj judging today. Great experience and some really great pitmasters ! (could be doing as many as 8 comps this year. let's see... 30/8 = ;))

Bob

Back