Herb Butter Beer Can Chicken w/Potatoes

John K BBQ

TVWBB Wizard
I know it's still summer, but I was feeling more buttery and herby than bbq tonight. I bought a little 2.5 lb whole chicken and gave it a good all over coating of olive oil, salt and pepper and took a little bit of garlic basil butter and tucked it between the skin and breast meat, up high so it could melt down and get all happy;
IMG-2763.jpg
That chicken looked lonely sitting up on that beer can all by itself, so I cubed up some red potatoes, tossed them in some oil w/salt and pepper, then dropped in some galic cloves, and about 2 more tablespoonsn of garlic herb butter. I put it on the grill between two banks of hardwood charcoal, with a couple of pecan chunks and basted every 15 minutes or so with the drippings from the pan. The PK ran nice at about 275...

IMG-2766.jpg

I needed some health food too, so i put some sprouts in my 10" cast iron and cooked them on my Genesis, Things were starting to feel a bit too healthy, so I tossed in some bacon during the last 10 minutes or so

IMG-2771.jpg

Here's the last photo of the chicken. It turned out great, highly recommend this method for herb roasted chicken and potatoes. Chicken was juicy, garlicy and buttery, and those potatoes were amazing. The garlic cloves were soft and delicious.

IMG-2772.jpg

I hope everyone had an amazing dinner tonight as well! Cheers all!

I like that alot!
Have you ever tried quartering a lemon or onion and plugging up the neck cavity?
Supposedly that helps the beer steaming effect.

Tim

Back