Help with mystery pork

NMace

So...I've got a mystery pork roast (maybe a pork butt?). The meat came from us buying half a pig from a local butcher. About 9 months ago.....

The mystery roast came out of the deep freeze about 10 mins ago and seems to be around 8-9 pounds. I am not sure (yet) but it might have been lightly smoked at the butchers.

What the crap can I do with it? And what can I do with it to be eating it for dinner tomorrow? I will try to post a pic in a second.

looks like ham to me. if it is whole you can smoke it, just pull it at 160 and slice.

Since this smells lightly of smoke, and the fact a that ham is typically smoked and salted in order to become ham, how would I season it (if at all) and is a second smoking not going to be too much smoke?

How long does one smoke ham and at what temp?

I would smoke it until it comes up to temp around 160ish, just put some standard dry rub you have on hand on it. Alot of people double smoke meat, my local butcher shop sells double smoked bacon. Your smoke will be better anyway- you could go light on the wood if you want though.

It does look smoked, but I don't know how to tell if it's ready to cook vs ready to eat??

Tim

That almost looks like a cottage roll to me because of the amount of fat I'm seeing. Similar to ham except it's a brined shoulder. I'd l&s smoke it and then put a sweet mustard slather on it for the last 1/2 hour, honey mustard or Dijon mixed with brown sugar. Cook till it's 160.

It does look smoked, but I don't know how to tell if it's ready to cook vs ready to eat??

Tim

It is at most partially cooked. The underside is raw.

Gonna try smoking it with a small amount of apple chips as it smells pretty strongly of hickory.

Question, roughly how long should this take per pound? And should I take that rind off?

Any links to a good glaze?

You shouldn't need to soak it. Just cook it till it reaches a food safe temp of around 160 and enjoy. Not sure on glaze sauce recipes.

Mustard glaze: I just take about 1/2 a cup of Dijon put it in a sauce pan and start to heat. Heat it just enough to melt the butter. Add 1-2 tablespoons of butter and then add brown sugar or honey till I get the taste and consistence I want. A bit of Sriracha sauce can add a nice heat to go with the sweet and you can also go with a bit of worcestershire sauce if you like.

Remember mustard will lose it's flavour if exposed to high heat for to long so only add the glaze for the last 15-30 minutes. If I need more glaze I just add more mustard and other ingredients till I get the quantity I want.

The meat is on now, with a simple but yummy honey + black pepper + small bit of water to make it spreadable.

Damn thing smells unbelievable. I don't have any Dijon, could I use yellow mustard instead ?

The meat is on now, with a simple but yummy honey + black pepper + small bit of water to make it spreadable.

Damn thing smells unbelievable. I don't have any Dijon, could I use yellow mustard instead ?

Go for it,I am a use what you have kind of person.

No pictures, it turned out great other than I didn't get it started in time and needed to rush it. Due to that, the bottom was overdone, but the middle/top/sides was freaking awesome!

Back