Help with Feet

PHolder

TVWBB Pro
I retired at the end of January. The company I worked for was asking for volunteers for an early retirement package. I took the opportunity to move to Central TN to be with son and his family (grand children).

To help get me out of the house I got a part-time job at a big box home improvement store. I can work shifts as long as 9 hours a few days a week while standing on my feet or walking. I had a 7 hour shift the other day where my phone shows I walked 5 miles.

My feet are killing me but are getting better. I have a decent pair of boots with a steel shank plus some Dr Scholls inserts.

Any other suggestions?

You should ditch the boots unless you need them for safety. There’s some very comfy running/walking shoes out there.

Folks rave about oc (on cloud). Hokas too. For myself, I go lightweight trail runners from Merrell.

You might want to look into a pair of orthotics they may be partially covered by your insurance, I worked retail as a butcher on my feet all day and I couldn't work without a set of orthotics in my work boots.

Last edited:
I get very sore feet but because my feet are very flat.
I use Birkenstock insoles…..life saver, literally.
The cost me around $50 a set but can last 2 pairs of work shoes sometimes.
If your feet are flat, I would buy these immediately….or at least look into why they are what they are.

Last edited:
Walking on hard concrete all day is hard on your feet.
Google best work shoe or boot for walking on concrete.
I liked Timberlands for my job.

I still have my State of NJ issued Bates Uniform Floataways from when I was a State cop. Still fit and feel great...not the most stylish shoes unless your in your Class A's and they're spit shined.(y)(y)
But Bates still makes great shoes for folks that spend a lot of time on their feet.

I still say a shoe is a shoe for the most part, some people get sore feet for a reason.
I went to a orthotics clinic, they did their stuff......made everything, it was supposed to change the world....
IT DID NOT......
It is super easy, find out why your feet hurt.....big arch...flat foot...ect....then correct it with inserts/insoles.......
With a win in that category almost any shoe will do your job.....

Last edited:
Another vote for Hoka. Their sneakers are super soft to walk on.
I also have their non-slip work shoe - they're good, but not as good as their sneakers.

Brooks are another option but they are expensive. My wife is a nurse and worked on her feet most of the day(she just took a new job at the same hospital where she's not) All of them wear Brooks or Hoka it seems like. For work shoes I wear Sketcher's Cottonwood Elks. They are a cheaper middle of the road shoe that won't fall apart on me and kind of look like dress shoes. Some days I'm on my feet all day and sometimes not. They are slip resistant. I've worn through the inserts on this current pair though.

Back