Help with a red head 1000????

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all......
First question that I actually asked before but dont remember getting a straight answer on........ Can a grill that has a handle that says Silver on it.....be called or considered a 1000? So is it a Genesis Silver 1000? I have only done a 3000 of this vintage...most of my flippers are Silver b's. No stickers on this old grill....but it is a deep box 13 bar.

Next question..........and I will give a clue if that helps. I bought this from another flipper guy about a year a go and I am finally getting around to it. When I picked it up from him the right side was boogered up....as in the plastic end cap was not there....and when I disassembled it he had the starter duct taped in place. I remember when I removed the control panel during disassembly it was unlike any grill I have ever dealt with before because I had to lift the cook box to get the control panel out. I thought that was odd at the time and still do. Now I have the grill almost completely restored and I am assembling it.....but when installing the control panel by wedging it under the cook box first then laying it flat.....it doesnt line up with the starter hole. Now I havent even attempted to install the manifold to see if the burner knobs will line up but what the hell is going on with this oddball? The only thing I can think of is that the flipper guy damaged the bar that the starter is on and maybe removed and reinstalled it in the wrong spot???? I am clueless. I tried 4 control panels and they all have the same problem. Please see pics and let me know if you can shine some light on this problem for me.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210603_213546.jpg
    20210603_213546.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210602_212527.jpg
    20210602_212527.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 22
Sorry this is the only way I can load such large files

Attachments

• 20210603_213651.jpg
    20210603_213651.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210603_213607.jpg
    20210603_213607.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 12
Dont judge me by the dirty control panels.....I was just trying every one I had plus the original and none of them line up......Im gunna laugh when I finally figure this out.......but not laughin' just yet! I have pre sold this grill and really need to get it complete.

Attachments

• 20210603_213828.jpg
    20210603_213828.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210602_212603.jpg
    20210602_212603.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 13
I guess we will know something is up right away if u dont have to lift the cook box up and out of the way to set the control panel in on this model.......which I bet you dont......no other grill is that way that I have worked on.

The only time I had an issue like this I did not have the cook box tight against the other side. I tightened the cook box bolt and it fit. I did scratch my head a few times before figuring it out.

Sounds like when you took it apart incorrectly you may have stripped it out from the screws on the correct side. The way you suppose to remove the control panel is there are 2 screws on the side you are suppose to remove first in order to be able to lift the control panel. Or else Joe is right.

Ya this one has me really baffled. Sooooo it was put together incorrectly when I bought it.......But as far as the 2 phillips head screws I am very familiar with those as I have removed about 100 of them. The cook box bolt might just help solve the mystery because it will give me the exact location of where she sits. There is a slight bump up that she could sit on but I really doubt it.

as for the pics....my phone takes pics in huge files.....so I would have to shrink the files before I post to get more than 2 pics per post or it gives me an error message. Unless portrait shrinks them automatically....

I am not aware of the Gen 1000 coming with Thermoset tables. I believe the Spirit and Silvers came with them. I think you have the makings of a Frankengrill there.

Last edited:
No I did not solve the problem........I just re sent the pics......
Ahhhhhh maybe u figured it out.......a deep box on a diff frame.........hmmmmmmmmmm thats possible for sure. I still know the guy that sold it to me........I doubt he will remeber what he did to it though. I thought the deep box grills wont even slide into a silver frame.....but I do not know.

Well.......see this vid......the guy clearly lifts the cook box to get the control panel in. Ironically he is missing an end cap as well....also if u watch the vid he reinstalls the center burner and it has a hole in it :(

Now mine the handle says Silver........yet its a 13 bar deep box..............so that question remains ...are there any silvers that are 13 bar deep boxers?

The grill in the pic below is what I thought I was working with here.....note.....grill in this pic is NOT mine........but this is what I thought I had.......but the box doesnt look so deep in this pic huh....

Attachments

• Silver B red example.jpg
    Silver B red example.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 5
Ok getting close to figuring this out...................The stock photos of the red and blue silver that I just loaded are 5 bar boxes but the same grill that I have w the plastic tables and the handle that says Silver. So u guys might be right.......I might have a friggin Franken grill!!!! This might just lose me a few bucks and a lot of time :( ......I can get a silver cook box but it wont be as sought after as the deep 13. I sent the guy that sold it to me a message...we shall see what he says.

Jim, I do think you have a frankengrill there. Changing that grill over into a Silver B is no big deal for flipping. Most customers don't have any clue of the significance of 5 bar vs 13 bar and deep box vs shallow box.

Yep the more I thought about it I do believe I have my first Frankenflipper. I have zero experience with 1000 and old Silvers so this one being a mix of the two looked good to me. I guess the previous owner just put his deep box into his silver frame and slapped the silver hood on it. My issue still remains. Last night I spent an hour trying to get the control panel to line up correctly and its a good 3/4 of and inch off and I just dont have any more room to push the box over......there is a bar there. I will try again tonight. I have a few options now that I know what I have. I can cut the control panels left side off the desired amount.....or maybe adjust where the starter sits by fabbing a metal plate for it.

Back