Help with a red head 1000????

Jim, I do think you have a frankengrill there. Changing that grill over into a Silver B is no big deal for flipping. Most customers don't have any clue of the significance of 5 bar vs 13 bar and deep box vs shallow box.
Bruce is 100% correct. From my experience 99% of customers have no clue about 13 vs 5 bar cook boxes. Also the 5 bar boxes are better to flip as less costly items to replace.

Yep agreed...........but the issue still remains......this box doesnt fit this frame correctly so I need either a diff box or a diff frame..........or to do some fabricating. I will let u guys know what I end up doing. The good thing is that I have a twin old silver exactly the same year and a old 1000 red head both in stock to compare measurements on.
Thanks for the help !!!

Jim, it sounds like you now have an idea what the issue is, what your options are and the tools and parts to make it all work.
Good luck, keep us posted.
If you do go the "Modification" route, please post up detailed issues and how you modified them to make them work. I have a couple SS PLatinum frames that I am considering dropping a 13 bar deep box into and would like any info on the problems and solutions to doing so before I begin.

But, just for flipping a grill, I have to say that I think you will be much better off putting the correct parts together to make it work as it is designed to.

Ok guys......well I went cave man on ole red. I was determined to make fire tonight and I didnt care what I had to do to get there. The seller......another flipper.......claimed he new nothing about the Franken situation. Sooooooooo I had a few options tonight.....I did find a extra silver B cook box but it was a mess!!!! Sure I could have got to grinding and razor blading and painting but I just didnt feel like it tonight.....I felt more like fabricating where no man had gone before!. Playing with a grill that I am unfamiliar with creates a lot of grey areas. I know the Silver B's so well I am like a Nascar pit crew with them.....but these old 1000's / Silver Frankendoodles that didnt come to me put together correctly are tricky. Most of my issues tonight were that I just didnt have a real good manifold to fit this deep boxer. I spent a couple of hours digging through my stuff to finally find one that would work.

So here is the deal......its a Silver B frame and a deep box with a Silver hood. For the life of me I cant figure out why the deep box burners are longer then Silver B's yet the box is the same width. Soooooo this is a frame that I repaired the through bolt to cook box rust on.....so my repair pushes the deep box a lil further towards the knobs. The whole problem is that this deep box ends up a lil too far to the right.......so what do you do to make it work???? I enlarged the holes that the knobs go in and I made a new hole for the starter. That said what I really need is a old school control panel cause my original is faded and the original part #8006 control panel lined up perfectly with all 3 knobs so the only mod I would have had to make would be to move the starter just a bit to the right.......Man this post is boring and its not going anywhere :(

Things I would like to have to finish this Frankenmess
A control panel #8006
A correct set of burners for this grill shiny and new
A decent manifold round tube style with tall stems.....

That said.......This grill does have decent burners but the seller boogered up the connection for the crossover tube......the center tube on this grill has two sets of holes top and bottom which I have never seen before. Or is it the holes are on both sides....hmmmmmm again I am just not familiar w this grills parts. I will google how this set of burners is supposed to intersect.

I used a manifold that I had .....it had really tall stems which I assume is ok and safe....I cleaned them up really good but couldnt get the screws out of the valve bodies :( .....I will have to disassemble the regulator to manifold and his adapter connection because I see teflon tape on the connections :( Larry would not be happy so I will correct the problem.
Well the only way I know how to spice up a boring post is to show pics of red grills.......so here ya go......Please note......this is NOT MY FINISHED PROJECT........it is just mocked up.......so I could make fire.........me make fire!!!20210604_205243.jpg20210604_205150.jpg

Here are the flames on high.....they were not making blow torch sounds so I assume this is the correct manifold for propane. The flames were a little sloppy on high but hey.....they have 13 bars to plow through. The other pic is of the panel I need....
Thats all folks!20210604_205404.jpg20210604_210603.jpg

Well, if you can cook a steak on it, you had to do something right. Flames look pretty good to me.

Ha......well......I guess I could have cooked a steak.....funny thing is during the test fire the crossover tube came out of burner #1.....never seen that before :) ....it was due to the boogered up connection of a modern crossover tube with the old burners.......pretty cool lil flame thrower ole burner number one is

I can maybe help solve one mystery, the vertical middle tube with holes on 2 sides. The first time I came across one of these was my genesis 5 restore. I wound up having to replace all the burners because when wire wheeling them (thanks Bruce) I damaged one that was not the middle one. Then just today I took apart a Silver and it also had a vertical center tube with holes on both sides. On this one the cross over tube was shot but the burners were ok. You can not just buy a vertical cross over tube, and you already figured out that the tubes in the deep boxes are completely incompatible with the shallow box tubes. I still had my good vertical crossover tube from my deep box but it was too long for the Silver So I lined up my good one, which was just a little longer than the silver crossover, and took a Dremel to it. Saved myself $$ on buying a whole new tube set and used a spare part.;-)

Another maybe possibility...could you trim the control panel on the firebox side? If you cut the part that goes over and under would it fit? Just thinking out loud?

Thanks Joe.....I appreciate your creativity. Sometimes its fun to create something with your hands.....but to me it just has to be good. I like your idea of trimming the left side and I was going to do that but I had two issues pop up.
1. After looking how Weber has made the control panel....part of its design is to cap off the heat rising between the box and the panel....it might even be a safety thing......so if a gas leak were to catch fire the initial burst would be shielded by the panel if that makes sense.......so all of our panels are basically tucked under a lip of the fire box or snug against a box.
2. This problem kinda sucked because my ideas were rollin right along.......but the only panel that matches up with the manifold that I used was a #8006 and all of the knob holes lined up. All others not only did not line up but didnt line up in a symetrical way....they were caddy wompass. :( ......
3. I have never seen manifolds not bolt up to a box easily before......but with the deep box only certain manifolds would match up with the the box bolts.......the deep box bolt pattern is wider :(

So regarding the tubes.......thanks for the info........ya that is a hard tube set to get for cheap......they all want 40 or 50 bucks for the modern version of these tubes which is just holes on top of center tube. I guess my set is original Weber repl cause the center has holes on each side of the tube. After scanning the internet last night I see how the center is supposed to connect to the crossover........the seller to me just inserted a silver B cross over which was a little short and had no way of really securing to the center tube..........so he just twisted it w pliers :( .....

Ultimately I have accepted that my diamond in the ruff is a Frankengrill......but for me to sleep at night it needs to be solid and safe....especially for what I am selling it for............

thanks for the support....

This is not a bad for $50 you get burners and a full set of 13 Flavorizers.

Post a couple of pictures of the tubes you need. I have some grills with old tubes. If I have one I can ship to you so long as you pay for shipping. No extra charge just shipping.

Thanks Joe and Sam................Joe I dont know how I missed that on Amazon last night.....but I just scooped up those tubes and bars. So that solves the burner issue. I have the buyer stopping by to see the grill this afternoon. I pre sold it on CL so I would have a buyer even before it was complete. I was shocked how fast it sold.....1 day! So with the buyer looking at it I can show him my ideas and he can tell me what he is cool with regarding the control panel and such.

Thanks Joe and Sam................Joe I dont know how I missed that on Amazon last night.....but I just scooped up those tubes and bars. So that solves the burner issue. I have the buyer stopping by to see the grill this afternoon. I pre sold it on CL so I would have a buyer even before it was complete. I was shocked how fast it sold.....1 day! So with the buyer looking at it I can show him my ideas and he can tell me what he is cool with regarding the control panel and such.
Now that is a new one on me. How did you "pre-sell" a grill? Do you have a link to the ad? Very cool concept. How much was it pre-sold for?
thanks

I have "pre-sold" grills in a sense where customers said "I will take your next one" or I have taken a customer's old neglected Genesis and rehabbed it a predetermined/agreed on price.

I have a bunch of sets of original burner tubes for Genesis 1000 grills, however most of them do not have the cross over tube. I should probably buy a half dozen cross over tubes because the way things are going, it is going to cost $50 for a new set if you can even find them.

When I put the new set of burners in my personal Genesis 1000 three or four years ago, I paid $13 on amazon for them.

I am guessing this is yours https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/hsh/d/manassas-weber-grill-classic-restored/7330995084.html
I must be doing something wrong as I have this one up for a while with a new firebox and all internals but is not selling. No interest at all.

Joe, you have a nice grill there. I would post up some more exterior photos. Each side at an angle with the front and one of the back. Heat it up, get the thermometer up to about 550 and take a photo.

Few minor details you might want to consider:
It might be the photo, but the left thermoset tables look a bit stained yet. Especially the left flip up table. If it is just the photo, then maybe take a new one. Then, it looks like the WEBER badge wasn't spruced up. If it wasn't, I would do so. It takes little time and then adds that new feeling to the otherwise nicely rehabbed grill. Then take a close up photo of that as well and add it to your CL add.

Oh, one other suggestion. Make sure you emphasize "STAINLESS STEEL" for ALL those new parts....even the burners, even though they are always stainless. People love the sound of "Stainless Steel".

Here is one of my adds. It seems to work for me.

No that one from Richmond is gorgeous!!!! That is not mine. I think if you have a sexy grill that turns heads its worth a pre sell ad............
here is mine

Like Bruce.....people get so excited about one of my shiny resto's that the people that miss out usually ask me to rehab theirs or to be put on the list for the next one. I just finished a customers rehab........and now this pre sale worked great.....too bad I am a bone head and the darn grill isnt ready.

Back