Help with a 13 lb bone in prime rib roast

Christopher B

TVWBB Member
Hey folks,

I just picked up a 12.8 lb prime rib roast at Costco ($105 yikes!). I plan on doing a wet herb rub and cooking it on my Performer using indirect heat with a pan under the grate with a mixture of beef stock, red wine and other assorted ingredients to end up with a nice flavourful stock to turn into a sauce.

I was thinking about trying to keep the heat around 350 degrees, any idea how long this beauty should take to cook? I was thinking I should take it off at 120, foil it and let it rest for half an hour or so to bring it up to a medium rare all over. Sound good?

Any help would be appreciated and how many people do you think this should feed? I think we are going to have about 10.

"350 degrees, any idea how long this beauty should take to cook?" If you are able to maintain this temperature, it's like cooking in an oven and the time should be similar. Here it says 10-15 min per # at 350. http://butcherboymarket.com/custroastingguide/meat-roasting-guide/ so that's 2.1 hours at low estimate and 3.2 hours at high estimate. So......... a meat thermometer is a valuable tool in this case.

Cooking at high temps gives you variable done meat (some medium some well depending on finishing temperature), cooking at lower temps will give you meat that has the same doneness throughout.

Prime Rib yield is around 87% - 11.1 lbs. At 8 oz. person, that should feed 20 people.

Also the meat cooks differently if you start straight from the refrigerator or let it come to room temperature before cooking.

Bone-in or boneless also makes a difference in time.

Last edited:
I'd do it it a much lower temp, 250-275 to get a nice even medium rare. Never done a Prime rib that big but I'd hate to get any of it past medium.

Cooking in a WSM is EXACTLY the same as your regular oven except for smoke.

Follow a regular cookbook (for times) when using identical temps.

Oven cook at 325 will take 5 hours? WSM cook at 325 will take EXACTLY the same time. The only consideration will be if the temp varies, the time will also.

To simplify, use a meat thermometer to monitor internal temps.

Hi Chris, I did a 4 pounder last weekend on my Kettle for the first time. I did not pay much attention to the time, used my Maverick 732 meat probe only. Kept the grill around 350 so just like the oven but I took it off at 138 and let it rest 20 minutes while I grilled corn. It was pretty rare most of the way through. Traditionally I do it in the oven at 450 for 30 minutes and then reduce the heat and cook according to weight. Next time I will try to duplicate that as I do like the range of cooked meat it gives.

Back