Help with 3-Year-Old Genesis Drip Pan - The Foil Lining

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I'm supposedly logged in but can't post this message. I will try again. Been having problems with this. I logged in twice and got a Thank You for logging in, but still can't seem to post my question. Will try again, pressing "Submit New Thread," which I did before.

--------------------------

I have finished cleaning my Genesis gas grill burners, drip tray, and fire box. I removed my original foil wrapping on the pull-out tray and thoroughly cleaned the drip pan, which I had foiled when it was new, 2 or 3 years ago. Considering how much I have used my grill, it was surprisingly easy to clean. Maybe it was easier because I have 5 Grill Grate sections (2 flat-side up, 3 ridged side up) to cover the grilling area?

I very carefully lined the large pull-out drip tray (not the little foil 4 x 6" or-so drip pan) with 2 layers of heavy-duty foil and tightly tucked in any extra foil around the edges.

When I tried to slide the large, foil-covered, drip pan on the runners under the burners, it pushed most of the foil to the front of the tray (and the front of the grill). Not a good solution.

Does Weber sell any drip tray liners? Might anyone have suggestions to try some other method to protect the drip tray to make it easier to clean? Should I forget about it and put the drip tray in the dishwasher after every 3 or 4 cooks, depending on how much glaze I use?

Looking forward to some sage advice. Thanks!

Rita

Last edited:
Hi Rita, concerning your slide out drip tray, I would not line the tray with anything especially foil. The heat that would be reflected back up into the cook box would not be what Weber had in mind when they engineered your excellent grill. I use a plastic putty knife and a little simple green to clean and after 4 years mine still looks like new. Good luck and good cooking.

Bill

Rich, I think she is attempting to line the entire slide out drip tray with foil, not just the little pan.

Rita, I wouldn't line the large drip pan (basically the whole bottom of the cookbox) with foil. You want drippings to hit that sizzling hot sucker and evaporate. I know it gets kind of dirty, but if it makes you feel better you can pull it out and scrape it once in a while.

Thank you, gentlemen. Your comments make sense and I won't be foiling the slide-out tray in the future, but I'll be more diligent in cleaning it more often. I have a restaurant-size dishpan that I use to soak my Grill Grates occasionally and the tray just might fit in it too. A family illness left me with too little time to do the proper cleaning during the last 3 years.

Rita

X2 on the plastic putty knife. At $1.29 it is by far the cheapest grilling/BBQ accessory I own.:)

Rich, I think she is attempting to line the entire slide out drip tray with foil, not just the little pan.

Rita, I wouldn't line the large drip pan (basically the whole bottom of the cookbox) with foil. You want drippings to hit that sizzling hot sucker and evaporate. I know it gets kind of dirty, but if it makes you feel better you can pull it out and scrape it once in a while.

Opps, your right and I just finished reading that in her post...another senior moment.:rolleyes:

I pulled my drip pan out and scrapped it clean in about 5 minutes. Since it's not the type of thing that needs to be clean, I just go for better than it was before I started. Face it, unless you clean it after ever cook, once you've cooked on it a few times, it's not clean any longer. So as long as I get it cleaner than it will be after a few cooks, I'm good to go.

Back