Help save the name plate

My thoughts are to leave it in place and work around it. I think any attempts to remove it will result in its destruction. The only other option I could envision is to take a very good photo of it and have it reproduced.
After building grills for over half a century, I would have thought Weber would have switched to a more permanent/durable data plate. But, it seems like the newer ones are even worse. Try spraying any kind of cleaner on one and wipe it clean and you will likely be looking at a blank white sticker.

My thoughts are to leave it in place and work around it. I think any attempts to remove it will result in its destruction. The only other option I could envision is to take a very good photo of it and have it reproduced.
After building grills for over half a century, I would have thought Weber would have switched to a more permanent/durable data plate. But, it seems like the newer ones are even worse. Try spraying any kind of cleaner on one and wipe it clean and you will likely be looking at a blank white sticker.
That's probably what they want. If you can't identify it, you can't request warranty on it.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I think I'll take lots of pictures. Then at least try and use a heat gun to peel up the area near the rust to give me some room to work. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the replies 👍

Only other possibility I can think of is to use a single edge razor scraper, but there is a good chance you will ruin it in the process unless you are ultra careful. Maybe do the picture thing and then give the razor a try.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I think I'll take lots of pictures. Then at least try and use a heat gun to peel up the area near the rust to give me some room to work. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the replies 👍
Maybe try using the heat gun to heat it from the back side to reduce the risk of over heating the plastic.

There's a product called Freeze-it that might work. You can also spray it with a can of air upside down. Get it super cold. This might let you get the sticker off intact.

I think it is already "brittle". If it was me, I would first take some good photos of it as backup in case you want to have it duplicated as your backup plan. Then I would try the heat method to see if you can get it off that way.

Back