Help: pork steak tonight

John Boehm

TVWBB Fan
I bought a couple of pork steaks because they were on sale and I've heard a lot about them from this site. I have never cooked one and was wondering how to. They are about an inch thick and almost a pound each. Should they be grilled direct, or low on the WSM. How much time and how do you know when they are done? Thanks, the more detail the better!

Thanks Kevin, a lot of good info there. I'll post the results later. There seems to be a lot of variation in cook times (as always). Ive seen indirect from 1 to 3 hours, I guess I'll cook them till they seem tender enough. I wonder if you cook them direct high heat, like beef, if it would be too tough?

John,

The pork steak comes from the shoulder aka "Boston Butt" that is used for pulled pork. That means that raw, it is tough, with lots of connective tissue. That takes some time to break down. You definitely want to cook indirect.

The only reason to cook direct is for a very limited time, to sear the exterior of the steak for another layer of flavor. Follow that tutorial from Bob.

And yes, cook to tender, not time or temp.

Good luck.

John,
You can cook them over medium heat, flipping until done, then put them in a pan with enough bbq sauce to cover, cover the pan with foil, and keep it indirect on the grill for 2 or more hours.
Lots of folks in StL cook them that way, and many add beer to the sauce.

High heat is not good, since these are nothing but slices of pork butt with connective tissue.

I like to go indirect for most of the cook, then maybe a little direct to brown them up before saucing.
Some small pieces of smoke wood in the beginning adds flavor too.

Time is hard to pin point due to thickness, etc.
Let's just say they are pretty hard to overcook if you keep the heat fairly low.
Good luck!

edit to add:
looks like Matt was giving great advice while I was typing.

Well, they were fine, but not great. I pulled the first one after 2 hours at 270 because I was ready for dinner. It was not fork tender, it more resembled a firm pork chop, a little dry. I let the second one go for 3 hours total. It was more tender and juicy but still not "fall of the bone." What did I do wrong?

Back