Help: pork butts tomorrow

Will Erskine

I purchased a 5 1/2 pound pork butt and am planning to cook it tomorrow. Is this thing going to take longer than 10 hours at 250 in my smokey mountain cooker? I suppose it'll be just a nice pork roast and not pulled pork if it only gets to 170.

What's a nice recipe for a pulled pork which I do not plan to serve on buns, but rather I'd like to serve it with grilled German potato salad and a veg.

I was planning to rub it with a rub from K Kruger from a May 2005 post and serve it along side Weber Tangy BBQ sauce unless I hear some other advice from here, and I'd really like to try another sauce than Weber Tangy.

If you are pressed for time, try quick cooked butt method. I did a 9 lb butt that way last week in a little more than 7 hours. Came out pretty good too. I'm not so sure that at 170 the butt will be very good. According to the cooking section, 180 is a minimum for sliced butt, but I've never done one for slicing. My experience is that at 250, butts done the conventional way take about 1.5 hours per lb, maybe a bit less. You can cook higher too as butts don't care. Many do. And welcome to the board

I'm thinking that 10 hours is going to be about right. I did two butts last weekend at 250. they were about 7-8 pounds each after trimming and took about 12 hours (close to 1.5/lb just as Dave says). So you're looking at 8 to 9 hours. Crank up the heat a little (say 275) and/or foil after about 5 hours and you'll speed things up. Make sure to include time for it to rest. I would want at least an hour of rest - two would be better.

It's done when it's done! I know not what you asked but with BBQ that is how it works.

I'm kind of doing the same tomorrow with one that is just under 4 lbs. I wanted ribs and my boy wanted pulled pork. So I bought a small one to make while I make my spares.

I think that 90 minutes a lb is kind of a rule of thumb @ 225-250* . I will be making mine with spares and I am going try to cook it 275-300*. I'm hoping to be done in 4-5 hours. I hope your cook goes well. Vince

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Will Erskine:
I was planning to rub it with a rub from K Kruger from a May 2005 post and serve it along side Weber Tangy BBQ sauce unless I hear some other advice from here, and I'd really like to try another sauce than Weber Tangy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kevin's "A Butt Rub For Jane" great rub.
For a sauce, try this one from Kevin.
As Dave said, you can cook them at a higher temp, they turn out just fine.
icon_wink.gif

Yes at 170º it's not pullable.

Back