Help picking new grates for a Genesis Silver A

You can't go wrong with these. Genuine Weber part, and on sale right now. I've had this set for at least 15 years and they are still in perfect condition. Oh, you can also buy Genesis 1000 crossover tubes on this site as well.View attachment 56833https://www.grillparts.com/weber/silver_b.asp?product_id=65619
Thanks, I was just looking at this site as they have the manifold support bracket I need. These grates look a lot like the hongso ones I bought for the silver a. Do you think these would be significantly better? Still leaning towards solid rods, though liked how easy the flat grates are to clean.

Thanks, I was just looking at this site as they have the manifold support bracket I need. These grates look a lot like the hongso ones I bought for the silver a. Do you think these would be significantly better? Still leaning towards solid rods, though liked how easy the flat grates are to clean.
I know they fit properly, last forever, and are easy to clean. I won't try and talk you out of the rod style grates though if that's what you want. They are just going to be more money for similar quality, that's all. Try and order more than one item from any of these websites to cut down on shipping. Don't forget about ebay for parts and Weber themselves either.

I ended up buying the Hongso stamped grates. ive been using them all Summer and The only complaint is that they are a bit short so slide around while cleaning, cooking Is no problem and and have had no issues with warping, rusting or food sticking.

I just picked up a Genesis 1000 i found on FB marketplace for free. This one was definitely exposed to the elements and I will need to replace almost everything. so now I am deciding between the qulimetal 7mm grates, 9mm grates, and the 8 mm made in USA grates on bbqparts.

I’ve read many reporting problems with a short crossover on the Amazon burner sets so will probably spend a bit more to get the Weber kit from bbqparts.
The Qlimetal grates are really nice, maybe the thickest option available since Dave Santana is not taking orders right now. The BBQparts.com are also extremely nice. Whether that 1mm matters is a personal choice as it picking between a Made-in-USA choice (BBQParts,com) or overseas import (Qlimetal).

I got Dave's bars and grates 5 years ago and will never regret it. I knew I was keeping the grill long term so it was an investment. They have had a lot of use and look like they'll outlast me for sure!
I also ordered and today received the porcelain drain pan for my A, which will replace the cheap metal pan it came with that didn't hold up. Again, I Knew this grill is a keeper and wanted a durable part. Love my Silver A!!

I can vouch for the stamped grates from https://bbqparts.com/genesis1000.html. They make a set for the Silver A also which are 55 bucks. When I bought them 4 years ago they were 45 bucks looks like they are now 59 bucks. They are 304 and have held up perfectly they are on my daughters 1000 redhead that I gave to her.

I run Qlimetal Stainless Rod grates on my Silver C bought them when the crew first found them on the forum not sure what they cost now but we bought them when they first came into the market they were $30 bucks I think. I just bought a new set of their flavorizer bars for my Silver C as the old ones bit the dust again good quality and the price was good.

Last edited:
I can vouch for the stamped grates from https://bbqparts.com/genesis1000.html. When I bought them 4 years ago they were 45 bucks looks like they are now 59 bucks. They are 304 and have held up perfectly they are on my daughters 1000 redhead that I gave to her.

I run Qlimetal Stainless Rod grates on my Silver C bought them when the crew first found them on the forum not sure what they cost now but we bought them when they first came into the market they were $30 bucks I think. I just bought a new set of their flavorizer bars for my Silver C as the old ones bit the dust again good quality and the price was good.
I bought the qulimetal flavorizers for the silver A I just fixed up for my father and was very impressed with the quality. Unfortunately they do not make them for the 1000 that I just got. I found some made by RiversEdge on Amazon that claim to be 16 gauge. I’ll probably go with those after reading the reviews of other sets not sitting nicely on this grill.

I think.I may order the steel rods from bbqparts. I’m also still deciding if I should spend a little less and get the 9 mm qulimetal ones. also still need new burner tubes.

Well Jeff you need to buy what makes you happy. It would be hard and this is just me to spend the 119 for the rod grates at bbq excellent product but do you really need 9mm? The QuliMetal 7639 304 Stainless Steel Cooking Grates 7MM are $59.99 they are 304 and it's not like your food will taste any better on 9mm grates nor will your burgers, steaks or hot dogs fall thru either on 7mm grates. I also doubt the 9mm grates will last any longer than the 7mm grates if both are 304.

Good luck.

Brian, I totally get that viewpoint. I see two reasons that added cost of the 9mm grates might make sense to someone.
1. The added mass helps retain heat when the grill gets opened.
2. The gap between the 7mm vs 9mm grates is fairly significant. You will lose food occassionally between the rods on the 7mm grates.

Is that worth the extra $50??? That is up to the individual.

Bruce fair points from personal experience I have never lost any food on the smaller spacing on the rods. Certainly there can be people who cook smaller stuff like veggies or whatever and if I cooked them never do would throw some foil with fork holes where I was cooking them problem solved. I don't buy the heat mass argument my guess it would be so insignificant that you would not notice it would be more important when flipping a steak, burger or whatever to ensue if you can I get cooking 14 burgers where that might be difficult that you put it on a clean part of the grate and not the same spot as the clean part will be hotter. The lid should not be open that long flip your stuff and move on.

I believe most people will be more than happy with the 7mm grates with 50 dollars in their pocket to buy a instant read or smoke or whatever again your food will taste the same and that by the way would also be the case for the bbq stamped steel grates also but now it appears the Q rods are the same price as the bbq stamped so even I would by the rods for the same price.

Its all good its a personal decision and its your money. With everyones input I think Jeff has enough info to make an informed choice. Won't go wrong IMO with the Q grates certainly will not go wrong with the bbq 9mm grates either.

Totally agree with you Brian. To some, it is a no-brainer to get the best. That is why some buy a summit and some buy a Spirit.
To some, money is a small concern. But, like you said, others have budgets to adhere to and the thought of some darn good grates along with $50 worth of stuff to cook on them is a better value.

Many times Bruce I buy the best MK4 or whatever on the instant read although got a TP829 recently got one day to return it buyers remorse cause I might wait for that 69 dollar deal on the smoke to come back again. This is only me I just don't see the value in the grates just like many don't see the value in Thermoworks vs Thermpro. Your in the gasser world I also have a performer along with my gasser and you would be horrified at the spacing as 7mm would seem like 11mm in that world unless you want to pony up the money for the Killa grates which again I see no need.

Some do there is nothing wrong with that all I know is I make some pretty good food on the Performer, UDS, the Silver C and IMO it has nothing to do with the grates. By the way not selling anything here nor am I telling anyone what to do in these purchases nor am I saying I know everything cause I don't. :)

Back