Help me restore this 22.5 One Touch Gold Charcoal Grill

Andrew Luis

TVWBB Fan
Just got this guy free thanks to Craigslist. :)

He's in rough shape, but with some TLC and maybe new parts I can get her back to new condition.

I saw some rust on the bottom of the grill (small), on the vent, and under the grill where the legs connect with the thin pieces of metal (not pictured). Should I be worried? It's very minimal, but it makes me think. Also is the cover trashed? Or can I bring that back to decent condition? I think I may clean it with vinyl cleaner and some water and soap.

It's snowing out, but I plan to bring her back to better condition when the weather gets a littler nicer out.

I saw people use steel wool to clean it. What other products are folks using to bring grills back to life?

I didn't see a lid thermometer like on Newer One Touch Golds. Does that mean this one is kind of old?

Let me know your thoughts when you get a chance. :) Thanks!

rvlc.jpg

kf05.jpg

ibko.jpg

nfwb.jpg

17n6.jpg

td1o.jpg

znut.jpg

Restore ?? that kettle is in great shape judging by the photos. Get some oven cleaner, spray it on let it set for a bit then scrub with some 0000 steel wool on the lid and bowl and if you want to shine up the legs and ash catcher get some mothers aluminum polish and have at her. Fire her up and burn off any crud on the cooking grate and away you go and post more photo's

Still kind of worried about the rust on the bottom of the 'bowl' on the outside?

Would Weber replace this? Isn't it covered for 10 years?

Free! You could contact Weber and ask them. Looks like it just needs a little cleaning. I keep checking Craigslist, but never see anything like that.

Glad to see someone on here picked it up. I really didn't want to drive to AX today. :)

Lood lookin' 18" WSM. Do you also notice the cover is pretty snug on yours? Mine is a bear to remove/install. I can literally grab the top of the cover and lift the mid section off the base on mine. And I don't even have handles installed on the center section. No idea why Weber made this one so tight as my 22" WSM has lots of room. Back to your OTG score...

What you picked up is a 2007 model as noted by the DI stamp on the lid vent. Like Dave said, this baby is far from needing a restore. I give all of my new-to-me grills a hefty cleaning as I want all the 'seasoning' to be my own. That way I know what went on in there. Here's a rundown on my clean-up process.

There's an ash sweeper system in there? Don't think it was ever used...

445eab8b-508e-4cd3-bfb8-6e40e011298a.jpg

After using a paint stir stick to scrape the gunk down (a plastic scraper works great also)

69D50A0F-C2E2-495A-BA52-CD03063FEA0C-1868-000000EEF3D8D09E.jpg

I use a commercial degreaser from Home Depot. It's cheap and readily available. Oven cleaner also works well, but keep it off the aluminum vents.
I use a heavy duty pot scrubber for the initial cleaning. Followed by scotch brite pads for the fine scrubbing of the inside.

8B4795A9-83F7-4DCC-8DB1-182B021C75FE-1868-000000EF03E0CC06.jpg

It will literally come back to life. If you have a sandpaper-like-texture, a razor blade scrapes it well. The porcelain finish is a lot tougher than you think.

FFED322E-24D3-4678-ADDC-CC39BF5ED507-1868-000000EF0C77F0F7.jpg

The legs/ash ring/ ash pan clean up really well with various grits of sandpaper followed by 0000 steel wool if you're ambitious. lol

B0F828AA-D542-43D7-936C-803C1E996AC8-550-00000035BFE9251A.jpg

If you want a lid thermo, and are handy with a drill, this mod cost me 12 bucks to install a thermo on the first OTG I picked up (from CL at that)

25A1A593-CDC0-43B3-A5B0-80340F8D3BF6-1868-000000EF800F0EE3.jpg

Use 0000 steel wool on the porcelain (dry) and you'll see this puppy shine like brand new.

Another option is to paint the ash ring & ash pan. These were unfinished aluminum and I went for the red/black look.

F70B78C7-3880-4BE2-BB6A-DFA35DF84BAC-605-00000057EAE82216.jpg

For the cover --- I'd wait until the temps got into the 60's or so. These covers are pretty brittle in the colder temps.

That looks AMAZING!! Chad, you're one of the reasons I decided to sign up here because of your mods/work restoring grills.

I will probably add one of those thermometers. Do you have a part number? I may call in to weber to see if that rust at the bottom of the bowl on the outside is covered.

What are your thoughts?

I have rust too on those connecting pieces of aluminum below the bowl connecting the legs that you have painted green.

Is that just surface rust? Can I sand that off?

Can the rust on the top dome vent come off? Or should I just replace that completely? It's just a screw with a bolt, right?

Last edited:
Thanks for the shout out.

The thermometer combo was part #70180 from eReplacement parts. Thermometer $8.66 + shipping $3.95 = total $12.61
But Weber, in their infinite wisdom, discontinued that part and now sell the thermometer & bezel seperately.
:confused:

Let me get this right. You picked up something for free, and want the company to send you a replacement bowl for free? It's just cosmetic and that bowl is sure to outlive you. lol Unless the leg sockets are falling off or something major like that, why would this be Weber's problem? Seriously, with a little TLC that bowl would be good to go. Plus, once you drill a hole in the lid for a thermo --- it voids the warranty. After cleaning the bowl, shoot the troubled areas with a rattle can of black high heat paint from Advanced Auto or the like. Right on the bowl, no taping or anything. After it dries, use the steel wool to 'sand off' the paint from the porcelain. You'll be left with paint on the rusted surfaces/scratches, but the porcelain will shine like new.

I didn't paint the triangle green, it came that way from Weber in 2010. Use the same can of black paint and spray the triangle. This grill is pushing 8 years old and it's been used. Show it some love and it'll return the favor. :D

It can't hurt to ask. ;)

But I will probably give her a cleaning when it gets warmer. With snow hitting this week...dunno when I can get around to it. :(

Things to get are probably a new vent, maybe new legs, install a thermometer to the lid, clean wheels, and just take her apart and make her look new.

Thanks, Tony!

Andrew I would take Chad's advice that grill will clean up like new without a whole lot of effort. If you're dealing with a little surface rust around the legs clean it up paint it and forget it, from what I could see in the pictures it's a non issue. Like Chad said it will out last you with a little care.

Thanks!

What specific paint matches the 'finish' that weber uses?

I will proably sand her down and paint and tape it up so just to hit that specific spot.

Chad - Do you have the link for the thermometer housing?

Sorry about the worry on the rust, ya'll.

I am a car guy, so when I see rust I freak out.

get high temp black, I used one called bbq black by rustolem. Looks like it will be a great grill! Nice find, looks like it will be cooking in no time!

Mines a year older and looks similar. The scratches or crazing on the sides are hard for me to notice with the black color. The only time it bugs me is when it's all cleaned upped and polished.
The surface rust around the leg sockets also happens at the lid and side handles. Those are spot welded on before it gets the porcelain coating, and I guess it's hard to get good penetration in those areas.
Sanding and doing a paint touch-up is a good idea. Me, I just wipe some veg oil on it with a paper towel.:)

Tim

Will def. touch her up and sand her where needed.

On this model, the top vent is riveted in. How do I remove it to install a new vent? Should I drill it out?

To me the top vent looks fine, should clean up almost new with some steel wool. The rivet does look rusted.To remove drill the inside out with a small bit, once the mushroomed part comes off than just pull on the vent, or grab the rivet with a pair of channel locks.
Than go to the hardware store and pick up a small nut-bolt and washers preferably stainless.

Tim

Ditto those who said to just clean it and use it. Regarding the vent, 0000 steel wool and some aluminum polish will have it looking better than new. The same steel wool can remove the surface rust around the legs of the bowl too. The rivet on the vent can be sanded if necessary, but try to avoid the aluminum when doing so. Absolutely no need to replace it, but if you are so inclined you would of course need to drill out the rivet to replace the vent. The only tool you need here is your elbow grease and you'll be fine.

Thanks!

What specific paint matches the 'finish' that weber uses?

I will proably sand her down and paint and tape it up so just to hit that specific spot.

Chad - Do you have the link for the thermometer housing?

Sorry about the worry on the rust, ya'll.

I am a car guy, so when I see rust I freak out.

If you don't mind your self getting pasted.....take a buffer and a bit of compound to the lid.....mirror reflection in no time!

Funny you guys mention using compound! :)

I actually have griots garage 6inch with a 5.5 inch adapter. I will probably take the Meguiars terry cloth pad to her, and see what happens! :)

I also have expensive Menzerna FG400 (worth it though!) compound I've used on my black car...

mpzq.jpg

Can't wait to see what i Can do to her!

Any suggestions on good metal polish for the aluminum? I will take her a part and shine everything seperately...with a ton of pics!

I will probably drill out the current top vent...but is there a way to put on a new one? Do the newer versions just screw in?

Can anyone give me a link on where to get the temperature guage and bezel? I couldn't find the actual thermomoeter just the bezel on the replacement site.

Last edited:
Glad to see someone on here picked it up. I really didn't want to drive to AX today. :)

Lood lookin' 18" WSM. Do you also notice the cover is pretty snug on yours? Mine is a bear to remove/install. I can literally grab the top of the cover and lift the mid section off the base on mine. And I don't even have handles installed on the center section. No idea why Weber made this one so tight as my 22" WSM has lots of room. Back to your OTG score...

What you picked up is a 2007 model as noted by the DI stamp on the lid vent. Like Dave said, this baby is far from needing a restore. I give all of my new-to-me grills a hefty cleaning as I want all the 'seasoning' to be my own. That way I know what went on in there. Here's a rundown on my clean-up process.

There's an ash sweeper system in there? Don't think it was ever used...

445eab8b-508e-4cd3-bfb8-6e40e011298a.jpg

After using a paint stir stick to scrape the gunk down (a plastic scraper works great also)

69D50A0F-C2E2-495A-BA52-CD03063FEA0C-1868-000000EEF3D8D09E.jpg

I use a commercial degreaser from Home Depot. It's cheap and readily available. Oven cleaner also works well, but keep it off the aluminum vents.
I use a heavy duty pot scrubber for the initial cleaning. Followed by scotch brite pads for the fine scrubbing of the inside.

8B4795A9-83F7-4DCC-8DB1-182B021C75FE-1868-000000EF03E0CC06.jpg

It will literally come back to life. If you have a sandpaper-like-texture, a razor blade scrapes it well. The porcelain finish is a lot tougher than you think.

FFED322E-24D3-4678-ADDC-CC39BF5ED507-1868-000000EF0C77F0F7.jpg

The legs/ash ring/ ash pan clean up really well with various grits of sandpaper followed by 0000 steel wool if you're ambitious. lol

B0F828AA-D542-43D7-936C-803C1E996AC8-550-00000035BFE9251A.jpg

If you want a lid thermo, and are handy with a drill, this mod cost me 12 bucks to install a thermo on the first OTG I picked up (from CL at that)

25A1A593-CDC0-43B3-A5B0-80340F8D3BF6-1868-000000EF800F0EE3.jpg

Use 0000 steel wool on the porcelain (dry) and you'll see this puppy shine like brand new.

Another option is to paint the ash ring & ash pan. These were unfinished aluminum and I went for the red/black look.

F70B78C7-3880-4BE2-BB6A-DFA35DF84BAC-605-00000057EAE82216.jpg

For the cover --- I'd wait until the temps got into the 60's or so. These covers are pretty brittle in the colder temps.

do you know the name of the degreaser you use from home depot ?

Back