Help! Lump vs briqs for my 1st smoke

S Riddell

TVWBB Super Fan
Picked up my new WSM 22.5 last weekend and grabbed a bag of charcoal from the dealer. Didn't think much about it. After stumbling onto this site and looking over the myriad posts I am getting kind of worried about my choice. They sold me Big Green Egg brand lump charcoal. I'm in Canada so its not cheap ($30 for a 20lb bag). I've also seen posts that say that filling the fire ring with the lump will probably use the whole bag. I am planning on smoking a pork butt this weekend (probably the 8lb range, haven't gone to the butcher to pick it up yet) and am wondering if I will need to get more charcoal. I was planning on using the minion method, but am not sure if this will be enough to cook the butt.

I appreciate any helpful advice from the experts out there, and also some help with finding a cheaper source would be great

Thanks,
Scott

I'm not a WSM vet by any means, only have 4 cooks under my belt but I can tell you what I've experienced thus far. I've used regular Kingsford with great success. Cooked 2 boston butts and used about 8-9lbs of charcoal. Even had a few briquettes left afterwards. I have yet to use my lump in my WSM, I mainly use it for grilling steaks and burgers.

You will have enough charcoal but at $30 for 20 lbs, I'd return it honestly. I buy Publix Greenwise Lump for $5 for 10 lbs and it burns nicely.

Good luck!

Thanks Jon. I thought about returning it, but I think I'd rather keep it to see how it does. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that it will burn for the 10-12 hrs necessary to cook the butt.

I live in Canada and we don't have Publix here, I wish we did at that price though. I have found Kingsford 16.6 lbs bags for $6 at Home Depot. Think I might pick some up as a back up.

Thanks, I'll post some pics after I cook if I can figure it out

Live and learn. Not much you can do now except fill the ring and cook the butt. Two things that you might consider:

1. Go buy the Kingsford and use that until you get a few more cooks under your belt and then use the lump to learn how it cooks.

2. I'd put more meat on there if I was using the expensive lump. At least that way you lower your cost per pound of finished product. Get 4 butts, cook them, pull them and then vacuum pack the pulled pork.

Or just go at it. Either way you should have fun, learn something and have something good to eat when all is said and done.

Good luck.

I'm pretty sure the BGE lump is made by Royal Oak.

Start with whichever kind of charcoal you want. I started off cooking with lump. Since it's your first time cooking on the WSM, there's a learning curve either way.

And I agree with Jerry. If you're firing up a 22.5" WSM, you want there to be more than 1 butt on there.

You have plenty for your cook. For smaller cooks, I use an 18 1/2" charcoal ring in my 22 1/2" WSM, it uses less fuel.

Bob

Thanks Jon. I thought about returning it, but I think I'd rather keep it to see how it does. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that it will burn for the 10-12 hrs necessary to cook the butt.

I live in Canada and we don't have Publix here, I wish we did at that price though. I have found Kingsford 16.6 lbs bags for $6 at Home Depot. Think I might pick some up as a back up.

Thanks, I'll post some pics after I cook if I can figure it out

Don't think you'll have a problem, 20lbs should be enough but I'd rather have extra just incase.

Another cheap alternative is Royal Oak lump, theirs bags are 8.8 or 10 lbs and run about $6.38 here at Wal-Mart. I rarely go there but have used it with no real problems.

logo-kingsford.png

I say go for it and if you can't finish due to low fuel pull it and finish it in the oven. At any rate have fun!

Back