Hello, Weber World! First WSM - A few issues though...

TMerriam

Hey Y'all!
I just purchased my first WSM 22.5". I've been watching, researching and waiting for a while now, and finally found one on sale for $236 after tax! When I got home, I realized why it was discounted so much.... The center section was warped about an inch and a half and would not allow the lid to make a seal. I contacted Weber and they quickly sent a replacement! I was super pumped that they shipped a '14 model with the grommet (The one I bought must have been a '13 model w/out the grommet).

When I put together my new bullet with replacement middle section, I noticed that there is a lot of room/play where the new center section meets the charcoal bowl. Do y'all think this gap is fixed over time? Any experience with this issue? I'd really hate to prolong the initial cook any longer...

Thanks for the advice, in advance.

Welcome to the site.
Great price....

Those "gaps" will go away as you cook on the wsm and build up a nice seasoning.

Thanks Tony! I can't wait to start cooking on it. Makes me want to call in sick tomorrow... By the way, Go Cowboys!

Thanks Tony! I can't wait to start cooking on it. Makes me want to call in sick tomorrow... By the way, Go Cowboys!

EB1AAB77-277A-46F6-B793-7FB2B46F664A.jpg

Welcome to the group. The gaps could be caused by it being a little out of round. Sit it on a flat surface and make sure it's flush to the surface all round. You can round out that first section quite easily be rolling it on a flat surface with a bit of pressure. Don't roll it on your driveway or concrete floor or you may bugger up the finish.

Wellcome to the WSM comunity!
For gaps I definitively avoid the problem from the beginning setting some gasket allround the door and the lid basement.
Great result.
Garantito!
Ciao
Enrico

Wellcome to the WSM comunity!
For gaps I definitively avoid the problem from the beginning setting some gasket allround the door and the lid basement.
Great result.
Garantito!
Ciao
Enrico
I agree, I put the seal kit on my brand new 22.5 before I did any cooks. It was worth the cost and wait. I did not do the door first, and it leaked there..... so the door was done next day.

I've seen those gaskets on Amazon and was curious if they were worth the $25. Thanks for the advice! I will look at purchasing tonight.

If the center section is out of round there is a simple fix. Just take the section into a room with carpet and hold it waist high and drop it a few times. It will go back into round.

Welcome to TVWBB

Hey Christopher!
It's a company in the Southeast called "Bargain Hunt". They purchase overstock and returned items from Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon, and more. Then, they resell the items typically at 60% of recommended retail price. The 22.5 sells for $399 on Amazon, so Bargain Hunt had it in their store for $240. The grill I got was an overstock item (Probably a 2013 model), but the center section was out of round, so the store gave me an additional 10% off. I contacted Weber about the center section issue, and I quickly had the 2014 replacement sent.

Back