Hello from the home of Pork Pies, Melton Mowbray.

DalePollard

Hi all, I had a non-brand kettle BBQ for some time before moving to what I thoughts would be a great reasonably priced smoker bbq, I cant remember the brand, but it wasn't very good for controlled air flow.
I've now purchased a used Weber Smokey Mountain 22" and spent a good 4 hours on Sunday scrubbing the racks and cleaning the enamel. It looks great now. Looking forward to doing some cooks on it.

I have been using Weber briquettes for a few years now, and was wondering if there were any alternatives worth considering. I've looked through the tips section on charcoal and I can't see any information on UK supplies of Charcoal anywhere. Does anyone have any recommendations? (For long cooks).

Thanks everyone, and I'm reading through everyone's posts to learn more. I've attached some pics of my cleaned WSM, and yes as usual its raining!!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-12 at 19.43.25_3c2ab70e.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-12 at 19.43.25_3c2ab70e.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 3
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-12 at 19.43.25_10d72f1b.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-12 at 19.43.25_10d72f1b.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 3
Hi all, I had a non-brand kettle BBQ for some time before moving to what I thoughts would be a great reasonably priced smoker bbq, I cant remember the brand, but it wasn't very good for controlled air flow.
I've now purchased a used Weber Smokey Mountain 22" and spent a good 4 hours on Sunday scrubbing the racks and cleaning the enamel. It looks great now. Looking forward to doing some cooks on it.

I have been using Weber briquettes for a few years now, and was wondering if there were any alternatives worth considering. I've looked through the tips section on charcoal and I can't see any information on UK supplies of Charcoal anywhere. Does anyone have any recommendations? (For long cooks).

Thanks everyone, and I'm reading through everyone's posts to learn more. I've attached some pics of my cleaned WSM, and yes as usual its raining!!
Hi from Manchester. Love a Melton mowbray pork pie. Will be keeping an eye out on the briquette answers. I've only had Weber work for me really. Not much about in the UK. Great looking WSM by the way!

Hi from Manchester. Love a Melton mowbray pork pie. Will be keeping an eye out on the briquette answers. I've only had Weber work for me really. Not much about in the UK. Great looking WSM by the way!
Hi Richard, yeah it’s hard going on the fuel options at present. The Weber fuel is great but not very budget friendly.

Welcome, Dale. A lot of folks here, including me, swear by Jealous Devil brand lump charcoal. Not sure how cost effective it is across the pond, but it would check-off all of your boxes. Love the cleaning you gave your WSM!

Back