Hello from Spring, Texas

Derrick H

TVWBB Fan
I have been here for awhile, but I felt I should do one of these posts.

As I grew up, my mom was the smoker in the family. She had an old barrel smoker and make the best ribs I ever tasted as I grew up. When I got my own place, I got a "shoebox griller" that I used on my apartment balcony. Mostly hot dogs, sometimes hamburgers. When I got into a house, I originally got a gas griller that I never really liked. I only used it for hot dogs, burgers, and steaks. Never really felt like it was good food though.

When I built my own house, I moved on to the Weber One Touch Silver. I was instantly in love. The charcoal, the dirty hands, the smoke, the hinged grill. I loved it all. I was introduced to indirect heating, using smoke for flavor, water pans, and disposing ash. I quickly moved to getting a Smokey Mountain, then replacing the OTS with a Performer. Didn't hurt that the local hardware store puts all Weber gear on sale for a weekend every January.

At this point, I am just trying to learn all I can about smoking and grilling. Cooking food in the rain, in the cold, on windy days, using previously frozen meats, marinated meats, non-marinated, etc. Trying to get a serious knowledge of what works and what doesn't. This board is definitely a help in that.

The biggest compliment I got was from my mom when she said my BBQ is the best she ever tasted. Meaning I surpassed her and my grandfather. I strive to be even better.

Hello Derrick. Welcome to the group. This is a great place to learn the art of smoking just about any food you care to mention. Lots of nice , helpful folks on this forum. You will enjoy the time you spend here.

Back