Hello from London

Paolo Wyatt

Hi all, hope everyone is well. I'm Paolo and live in London, UK. I recently moved from a Weber kettle with SnS (that I loved) to a Konnected Joe but the KJ electronics failed so is on its way back and about to hit go on a Weber Summit Kamado, can't wait! Everything I've read is so positive about it.

Wonder if anyone has any suggestions on any accessories to buy?

I'm quite keen on a temp controller as love smoking but have a young family so often can't wait by the BBQ for hours. Thinking Fireboard 2 Drive + fan as I've read about the benefits of the variable fan speed and can run off battery (no more running power to the garden from kitchen window!). Anyone have experience with this?

Will get the cover for the London weather. Other than that was thinking about a vortex but might just use the CBs for now until get used to the BBQ.

Also love to reverse sear thick steaks and thinking will start by doing 2 zone set up using CBs on top charcoal grate and then use CI pan I have for the sear once up to temp and have opened up the vents to get heat up. Any advice here appreciated!

Would people recommend a drip/water pan for smoking? I've never used one as had the SnS water component before and didn't need one in the KJ.

Thanks a lot and look forward to being part of the community!

Welcome Paolo, Good choice on the WSK, just set up and learn initially then consider further about accessories. Weber do not sell so many for the WSK, likely as not many are needed. When looking for accessories. consider options also from the BGE and KJ as some fit nicely in the Weber.

Also, look at the ceramic grill store as some of the after market items can fit the Weber also, importing maybe an issue from them but worth a look regardless.

Best of luck!

WSK doesn’t need a fan and temp regulator. It’s stable and steady on its own.

IMO, you don’t need anything except a remote temperature monitor for low and slow cooks. I recommend ThermoWorks Signals.

I have lots of WSK cooks posted and methodologies. Just search for posts by me and you’ll see all I’ve done over almost 3 years of WSK cooks.

WSK is an incredible cooker. You’re going to love it.

Welcome! And ask away.

Welcome!

Vortex is great for really directing the flame either right into your food or around it. Not required as there's other ways to do it, but seeing that jet engine flame is cool.

Water pan, same comments really. Not necessary but helpful. Helps even out the temperature by being a heat sink. Read comments on what you can do to avoid a big mess.

WSK doesn’t need a fan and temp regulator. It’s stable and steady on its own.

IMO, you don’t need anything except a remote temperature monitor for low and slow cooks. I recommend ThermoWorks Signals.

I have lots of WSK cooks posted and methodologies. Just search for posts by me and you’ll see all I’ve done over almost 3 years of WSK cooks.

WSK is an incredible cooker. You’re going to love it.

Welcome! And ask away.
@Brett-EDH thanks for this too. Because I had a ceramic kamado in the past I was thinking a temp controller would be useful but the more I read (and will soon learn first hand) about the WSK I'm understanding that 1) it is very responsive to air flow changes so can easily change the temp if over/under, and 2) once at temp it holds it really well. I'll save my £££ on that temp controller!

welcome and congrats on your new purchase. the WSK is my dream cooker and from what i have seen and read it is a solid cooker also Brett and others on here have made some remarkable cooks on this BBQ enjoy and we love photos.....

@Brett-EDH thanks for this too. Because I had a ceramic kamado in the past I was thinking a temp controller would be useful but the more I read (and will soon learn first hand) about the WSK I'm understanding that 1) it is very responsive to air flow changes so can easily change the temp if over/under, and 2) once at temp it holds it really well. I'll save my £££ on that temp controller!

must-haves:
leather gloves, extra wide heavy duty foil for wrapping the deflector, instant read thermometer, remote thermometer

I agree a fan is not needed. I have a thermoworks billows that I bought for overnight cooks on my BGE. I used used it once on the WSK just to see how it works, and it works fine, but in the nearly two years I've had my WSK I've only used it once.

Greetings - nice to meet you as I am a fellow noob to these forums. I'll be watching your process with interest. I had a kamado style cooker similar to the WSK for about a decade and I loved it. It's very versatile and the perfect fit for a young family.

I always wanted to visit London to attend a football match. The atmosphere looks amazing! Not sure if this is a hot button topic but my team is Arsenal but my favorite players are probably Saka - and Son from Tottenham. Who do you follow?

My American football team is the Buffalo Bills - which also has a great game atmosphere. Go Bills!

Greetings - nice to meet you as I am a fellow noob to these forums. I'll be watching your process with interest. I had a kamado style cooker similar to the WSK for about a decade and I loved it. It's very versatile and the perfect fit for a young family.

I always wanted to visit London to attend a football match. The atmosphere looks amazing! Not sure if this is a hot button topic but my team is Arsenal but my favorite players are probably Saka - and Son from Tottenham. Who do you follow?

My American football team is the Buffalo Bills - which also has a great game atmosphere. Go Bills!
Excellent, glad to hear it!

Football matches here are a wonder thing. Having been to a few NFL games when I lived in the US I'd say the spectacle at the NFL games is better (more stuff going on) but the atmosphere at football matches here can't be beat.

I used to live in North London and could see the Emirates from my window.

I grew up in a town called Reading so that is who I support. Unfortunately we have a very bad owner who has run the club into the ground so it is not a happy time for Reading FC at the mo

Oh man, I was really rooting for the Bills to break through this year. I still remember them losing those four Super Bowls in a row, brutal.

Back