Hello From Ipswich Queensland Australia

Paul J H

Hi I'm Paul, I have only recently found this forum and I am finding it interesting to read.
I guess my primary interest is Automatic Temperature control, specifically HeaterMeters.
I have a conventional hooded BBQ which I like using and I feel I turn out good food on.
It has a rotisserie as well which I feel makes it even more versatile, but a few years ago I purchased a 22 1/2" Weber Kettle looking to get the taste that my Dad used to get from his when I was much younger than my current 57 years.

According to the codes on the top vent, the one I have is a 2008 model (DZ)

It was brand new in the box when I bought it (Private sale) but I bought it in 2012 or 2013, so I'm not sure what it was doing before that!
Anyhow, on using it, I am finding that it is a real pig!

If I cook with it the conventional way (loading the baskets with coals and allow them to ash over as per instructions), I always had a sense that it was too hot then getting too cold... The instructions say that you shouldn't open it during the cook because you will lose the heat. so I didn't... but I just had a feeling that it wasn't right.
I only cooked chickens and one pork leg roast because I just was not confident in what it was doing. I was able to rescue my cooks but food never turned out on time.

I became interested in low and slow cooking and bought a Maverick ET-732 Digital Thermometer.
This confirmed my suspicions as to what was happening with my temps. It was a godsend because it confirmed my suspicions about what was happening with my temps.
I now could open the lid of the Weber when the Maverick told me the temp was below optimum and do things to reinvigorate the fire and I would know what was happening with the temp and make allowances for it before and after opening it.

I tried a low and slow cook and my snake went out part way through... maybe a foot around the perimeter ... well after it was away from the chimney load of hot coals I put on to start it.

My Weber doesn't look like the ones that you normally see.... such as my Dads was... the lower bowl of mine is not as deep and I don't think the lid is as high a dome shape either. (Not sure about the latter though.)
I have since been told that my model is called a Weber "Classic" (why they would call it that when it's not is beyond me), anyway my source tells me that they are notorious for this "fire going out" issue.

I currently restart my fire by fanning it.
Initially I did that manually, then I progressed to using a heat gun.
Now I use a http://www.looftlighter.com/

My Weber is almost unusable as it is.

I see my options as ...
1: Give up kettle cooking all together and only use my hooded gas BBQ.
2: Ditch the Weber I have and buy a new ( or replacement) one that is the style like the one my Dad had. (They are fairly easy to obtain on the second hand market here in Australia)
3: Make the one I have work.

Challenge accepted!!!
I choose 3.

If I go with Option 1, there is no challenge, I cook pretty well on the gas... but the taste is just not as good as on the Weber ... I guess Low and slow is still an option with it... but I have never tried it. Also, without making any changes, I don't get any temp logging or ability to keep records to learn from.

If I go with Option 2, I don't get logging, and possibly I may still have temp control issues... (just hopefully not as critical as I have... eg fire going out.)

If I go with option 3, I get logging and seeing as I currently restart my fire by fan and that works, I'm confident... [hopeful] that if I use some sort of Fan/Damper combination, I will have a good chance of making it work.
If in the end it doesn't fix it I can always go to option 2 and use the HeaterMeter with that anyway.
With Option 3 I can also use the equipment on the gas BBQ if I want to and so get logging for that as well.

If I can get my Weber working reliably, I would like to make an extension to allow me to cook larger pieces of meat.
Not as high as this one... http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/polish_don/2012-04-16195618.jpg ... but you get the idea?

I know this has been quite a long introduction, and I do apologize if you feel I have wasted your time in reading it, but I wanted to share with you where my major interest in this forum is and my thoughts around that ... not that I'm not interested in the other aspects of the forum as well, such as recipes and other mods and ideas.
I hope to share my progress and setbacks on here.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with hints and suggestions, especially other Aussies with ideas of how they have dealt with getting the parts or a completed HeaterMeter to Australia, in a cost effective way.
Cheers,
Paul.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Probably you could post a picture of your Weber? I know shallow ones were sold at Big W and other retailers. I think they were called the compact kettle (from memory). I can no longer find them in stores.

Hi Henry... Sure I'll take a picture and post... as for vents... They are all open fully lower and upper.
I did try closing the top ones a little when I first got it, but it was clear that was not working... I'm sure it needs more air not less.

Here are a couple of pics of my Weber. I included an "inside shot to show the lower vents. They are different to the "easy clean " vents I have seen on other Webers, but they look to have similar surface area, so I doubt that is the reason for my "air starvation" issue.
I'm not sure if I mentioned it in my introduction post.... but I was told that it's believed to be a circulation problem due to the lower volume inside the Weber.

Thanks for the interest,
All the best,
Paul

Hi Paul,
you have the Weber Compact Kettle- the main difference is that the bottom bowl is shallower than "The Classic" so your heat source is closer to the grill. The Lid is the same size. Keep your top vent fully open. I think if you are trying to do a low and slow that is your problem. I.E. you may have shut down the vents a bit too much. Try a few cooks with all the vents fully open- see how that goes.Also get your Heat Beads fully lit before cooking- that can take up to one hour.

Why do you have heat beads outside the fuel baskets???

If you want to really do a low and slow, pickup a WSM- much easier.

Last edited:
Hi Stephen. I have had the Weber for a few years.
I originally only did "Normal" cooks using the baskets.
I experimented with the vents ... only tried partially closing the top one, but I soon realised that the vents needed to be fully open. My problem is that even then the fire still dies out while there is still fuel.
After I bought my Maverick thermometer, I tried doing some low and slows just as an interest.
As expected the Maverick pit probe probes shows me when the temp starts to drop, so I lift the lid and use my Looftlighter to relight the snake. I dont allow it to go out completely.
I do it when I'm sure its not going to recover....Im actually getting quite good at it.
There is still some burning on the snake... but its dying... the Looftlighter reinvigorates it.
I usually combine it with some "meat maintenance"... basting or what ever it is that I choose to do at that stage.
I keep note of the time that the cover is off and adjust my cooking time accordingly.
I also have the meat probe of the Maverick in so I can monitor and confirm my assessment of the progress of the cook anyway.
The baskets are in with the remnants of my last snake low and slow purely for storage purposes.
I realise I could buy a different BBQ... but I have this one... and I'm interested in making this one do what I want.
I'm quite disappointed that Weber sell a BBQ that is designed to cook with baskets and that the baskets don't burn completely.
I'm not saying that I'll never buy one of their products again... but I am not inclined at this stage to do so.
This process is a hobby for me. I enjoy a challenge... I'm interested in open source things.
I find the idea of an automatically temperature controlled BBQ interesting.
I also like the idea of being able to log and record my cooks for future use.
Cheers,
Paul

Back