Hello from Illinois!

EricDS

Hi everyone!

My name is Eric and I'm addicted to BBQ and grilling!

I grew up in a house that only used charcoal and a Weber kettle. Every backyard event we did growing up involved grilling over hot coals. As I grew older the old man would often call me when he was on his way home from work. He would ask me to get the grill started so it would be ready when he got there. I have a ton of great memories from that. I always felt a little honored to be given that reaponsibility at a young age. The sights and smells from a charcoal grilll are forever stuck in my brain.

Fast forward a few years to my 20's. Living in small apartments like I did doesn't lend itself to grilling. So the only time I would get my fix was when I visited the folks house.

Fast forward some more....I'm married with a small house and things are great. We got a gas grill from her parents as a wedding present. It was a lower end Brinkman and I never really cared for it. But I used it anyway because it was a present after all. I couldn't cook well on it. It always seemed like I was running to the hardware store for propane refills. The food never tasted right to me and was mediocre at best.

Fast forward again to now...i finally got a Weber kettle and went back to charcoal. Its just a classic 22.5" standard kettle. But I love it. I use it several times a week year round. I even have a dedicated snow shovel for making a path to grill in the winter. The Brinkman is still there under a cover in the backyard. I literally have not pulled the cover off it in over a year.

Now I've started doing real BBQ on the kettle. I drilled a port for a digital wireless therometer and bought a hinged grate. I've done pork butts twice, pork spare ribs, baby back ribs, one brisket, and a bunch of whole chickens. I love tending the fire and creating something that is really delicious.

Well now I realize the kettle as a smoker has some shortcomings. Mainly the amount of cooking surface I have and how its cumbersome to add wood and coals to the kettle, (even with the hinged grate).

So now I'm looking for a WSM and thats what brought me here. You guys have a great site and I've already learned a ton just from lurking here a few weeks. I look forward to learning more!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Welcome, Eric. Are you a Rockford native or a transplant? I grew up in Cherry Valley and graduated from Boylan.

Welcome to the group. I to have fond memories of my dad burning the crap out hamburgers on the charcoal grill. ;)

Back