Hello from Houston, TX

Dave Unger

First of all, I cannot tell you all how much I have enjoyed this web site and community over the years. I could have sworn I registered with this forum years ago as I receive a monthly email update. However, I have tried logging in numerous times but to no avail. So, I guess I have officially been a "lurker" for over a decade.

I am not newbie however. I have owned my WSM 18.5 since 2001. I won it in a company contest. It was a contest where I got to pick out my own prize. And, boy did I ever pick a great prize!

The WSM is truly one of the finest, highest quality items I have ever owned. I cannot say that about most of the other items I have purchased over that same time period. In the time I have had my smoker I have gone through at least six sets of golf clubs, three motorcycles, five or six fly rods and two wives. The WSM is one of the few products that delivers MORE than advertised.

I am originally from Western Pennsylvania where, at least when I lived there, smoking food was pretty much unheard of. There were a few fisherman and hunters that I knew who had smokers to smoke Walleye or deer but that's about it.

I moved to Texas in 1996 and my first friend here cooked on a BBQ team. He invited me over to his house on a Sunday morning to help him smoke some briskets for a party. I got there and saw these HUGE slabs of meat on this massive iron smoker that he had. But, man did it ever smell good. That and the fact that by rule you are allowed to drink Budweiser at that time of the day as long as you were smoking briskets, caused me to fall in love with BBQing right away.

I was living in an apartment at the time so I didn't have room for a "real smoker". So I went to Walmart and got me 25 dollar Brinkman.

I got pretty good with the Brinkman especially having success with chicken. In fact, my BBQ team member buddy of mine thought my chicken was better than what he could do on his smoker.

But, in Texas at least, brisket is king. And, I just could not do good briskets on the Brinkman. The Brinkman would not stay hot enough long enough to do brisket right.

So, after doing a lot of research, especially at this site, I decided to get the WSM.

After a little bit of experimenting, tinkering and out and out stealing of other peoples ideas, I have got a brisket that I am very proud of. My friends request my brisket for parties and get togethers all the time. Being from up north they call it "Dave's Yankee Brisket".

Again, thanks for the many years of information and entertainment that you've provided me with this forum.

Hi Dave, and welcome back to the forums! Chris A. might be able to help with the previous membership issues, but let me be the first to say it's good to have you back!

Well Dave, you've said the "B" as in BRINKMAN&BUDWEISERword, one too many times for my tastes....
butt welcome home anyway:p

Back