Hello form Indiana

David Kitterman

Just started a '97 1000 rehab. Is the frame powder coated or painted. If powder - epoxy, urethane? Seems like it must be powder.

Welcome David and good luck on your restoration. I look forward to seeing it. I believe that the frames were powder coated, but I don't know that for sure. Most of us paint the frames when doing a restoration but having it sandblasted and powder coated would definitely look nicer and hold up better long term.

After my initial post & complete disassembly of the '97 1000, I found a '99 1000XL in excellent condition on FB Marketplace. Never been out of the garage. The original owner's son said he just stored it in the corner of the garage & rolled it in front of the overhead door when he used it. Not a very safe thing to do but it really saved the frame. A little rust here & there. Just a few small dots on the top frame at the fire box. Powder coat oxidation around the firebox too. I scrapped the smoke build-up inside the lid down to the porcelain. Still shiny like new. Cleaned & power washed the fire box & lid ends. Painted fire box and lid ends w/H-Temp paint. New flavorizers, igniter & regulator. The rest was just clean & polish. It's really nice to have one again after 25 years without.

Thanks for all the info on the forum.IMG_6729.jpg

Back