HeaterMeter v4.0 for RaspberyPi / Standalone

Oh yes that is fine if it isn't connected to the rPi. The TX line is pulled up to 3.3V only when connected, if not the AVR just lets it float. So all those 4 3.3V points on the microcontroller on the top right (starting where the 4 is in HeaterMeter 4.0 is) read 3.3V? If that's the case and you're getting oddball readings, either the 10K resistor for that pin is a dud, or there's something connecting on the probe area.

You can check continuity:
On the probe jacks from the top, each one should have one pin (the same one pin) connected to ground, so should read as a short between both ground and every other jack's same pin. The other two pins on each jack should be connected to their respective output which means they should read continuity from the microcontroller pin and their pin on the header and the two jack pins. I think. I have been drinking today so that may skew things.

You definitely can try plugging it back in to the rPi now and seeing if the numbers are accurate now. Supposedly you're not supposed to do this with the other 3V3 regulator in (they both try to regulate each other) but I run like this always and never have seen a problem.

Yup! I do 650F, but they're basically the same. (650F = 343C) All the components are through hole and fairly robust so you probably can't go wrong in the 600-750F range unless you really hold the iron on a part for 30+ seconds.

After ordering out a bunch of parts and rebuilding my HM everything is up and running. Thanks for the help. Not sure what the fix was but it is running fine.

Hmmm,

Is it possible to have a separate public web interface for the heatermeter? Read-only, of course ;)

I'm pretty sure this would be pretty easy to hack, since it's already running a web-server on the rpi...? Unless it's already included, could have missed it very well since I don't have a running copy right now.

Hmmm,

Is it possible to have a separate public web interface for the heatermeter? Read-only, of course ;)

I'm pretty sure this would be pretty easy to hack, since it's already running a web-server on the rpi...? Unless it's already included, could have missed it very well since I don't have a running copy right now.

The existing is read only until you log in.

Yeah if you can find a way to change anything without a login then it is a bug. It isn't "pretty easy to hack" and takes a lot of precautions to prevent unauthenticated users from being able to do anything.

That said, any system on a network of sufficient complexity is riddled with security vulnerabilities so I won't tell you that "HeaterMeter is Unbreakable", but to the best of my knowledge there is no way to get in, and certainly secure against someone non-technical.

Good evening I just fired up a new Heatermeter 4.0 the display and probes work. I have the EW7811UN. plugged it in but I cant see it when I do the 192.168.200.1 -> plugged in a keyboard and hdmi,was able to get to /etc/config and vi the network file.
I am running a wifi network (DSL on a Netgear N300) secured with a password. not sure which encryption it is.
my Unix skills a a bit rusty, none with the rPi, can someone offer any advice

Last edited:
Even I can't remember what's supposed to go where in the config files so I always just use the web interface. I've configured wireless dozens of times now. Much easier to have it do it for you. Not sure what I'm going to do when the model As are available and there's no wired network :(

Luckily, I'll be reconfiguring the networking a lot less in the future. Before I push out a new version I wipe my device and install from scratch for testing. New code in LinkMeter v7 backs up your config and restores it on first boot which is great for me because I don't even have to pull the SD card out now to flash:
wget -O/dev/mmcblk0 http://devmachine/rpi/openwrt-brcm2708-sdcard-vfat-ext4_224.img && reboot

About 2 minutes later I've got a fresh system with my configuration on it. Then I slap myself when I realize I forgot to copy something off it before wiping.

Last edited:
When I built my Linksys one last year, I had problems with the LCD screen so I did not use it. I wasn't sure if it was something I did wrong, or what. Is there a way for me to test it in advance? This way if it works or doesn't work I have less downtime?

I'm not sure of any way to test it without building the whole circuit. The 4.0 LCD driver is identical to the 3.2 LCD driver, but maybe whatever caused it to not work will work in your favor this time? Perhaps an out-of-spec shift register or a dodgy solder joint somewhere? Who knows, but I think folks are having a lot fewer problems with 4.0 HeaterMeters than 3.2 in general, but I think that's more credit to just being able to snap it onto a rPi and go.

When buying something else from Amazon I decided to grab another WiFi adapter to see if was compatible. Good news everyone! The Airlink AWLL5099 also works right out of the box with the OpenWrt image. This adapter is going for roughly 15% less than the Edimax at the time of this writing so there's an easy way to save a couple of bucks.

EDIT: And now they're about the same price again. Haha oh well, at least now there are options!

Last edited:
Hey Brian and team. Thank you for everything. I've completed my build and I have it all installed in Matt's great 3D printed case. I booted it up the first time... To my pleasant surprise it worked!!! That never happens.

I am having an issue, though. I can't connect via a web browser. I apologize in advance if has been discussed. I've searched and didn't find anything.

Here is what I do.

- Power on and I get the "No Pit Probe" reading.
- I plug in Ethernet. After about 20 seconds I get IP Address = 192.168.200.1
- I ping 192.168.200.1 and make connections. No issues

When I point my web browser to http://192.168.200.1 I get a blank page and it times out.

I'm plugged into Ethernet that goes through my local router (running OpenWRT no less... ha.). I don't have any conflicting IP addresses or anything like that.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Preston

Hey everybody,
I have another problem again and I will try to describe it. Maybe someone had the same similar problem and knows a solution.
Yesterday I tested my HM 4.0 standalone without a pit. I only wanted to know if it works over a longer time so I tested this about 2 hours.
At the beginning everything seems to work but after about 3 minutes it starts to show ‘no pit probe’.
But this is only for about 1 second and then it goes on normally.
From that on I had this problem the whole time. Sometimes it happens every 3 minutes one and the next time it happens every 10 seconds 3 times in a row.
And every time this happens the fan stops spinning for a moment.
The same is with FOOD1 (I only have one food probe at the moment) but without the fan stops.
When I turn the manual fan mode ‘on’ the fan is spinning without problems but the pit temp has still this problem. It doesn’t show ‘no pit probe’ anymore. It shows 0°C for these short times.
If I haven’t plugged the fan in the problem seems to be away. But I would really like to use it with the fan.
Any ideas?
Thank you.

Edit: Probes are the Maverick ET-732

Last edited:

Back