HeaterMeter Noob - Is it hard to build?

Boot the system up with a TV or monitor connected to the HDMI port to see what the system is showing as it boots up.

Not sure what my mac was doing with PiBaker, but i remounted the image on my windows, and it was a success. Pi Boots up just fine. connected to the HM however, the LCD is still blank.

Ok so I continued with registering my HM, and i was able to access it, but only through Ethernet. I'm going to have to play with it a lil more to see why I'm not able to access it through WiFi.

I know for sure something is up with the HM and not just the LCD.

Capture.JPG

The rpi will connect to the wifi without the heatermeter connected. So thats a router or setting issue or i guess it could be rpi or adapter issue also.

If you have not repost some close up pictures of the soldering of the board.

Here she is as of now. Getting some alcohol to help with the clean up.
20150512_222952.jpg

The rpi will connect to the wifi without the heatermeter connected. So thats a router or setting issue or i guess it could be rpi or adapter issue also.

If you have not repost some close up pictures of the soldering of the board.

With all my connections getting bad readings, IE: all the connections that should be 3.3v reading and i'm getting .03-.10 readings... what are the odds my board is fried?

What did you use to 'clean' the solder? It looks nasty. Can't say 100%, but I think I even see a few 'whiskers' near the SMD components, you might have shorts, especially if the component side looks like that (under DIP chips, the reaction was probably worse). Hopefully it's just residue, not corrosion. Did you use a Qtip? looks like fibers between some pads as well. The 10K SMD next to TC- looks like it might be shorting, but it could also be the angle.

Long thread here and I sense you are frustrated... It seems you've worked your way through a couple problems and might not be sure where things stand at this point... before you throw in the towel give us the low down on where you are at presently and maybe your HM can be salvaged..

Can you access your HM via LAN or WiFi? If so, does it seem to be functioning properly?

I think you had to remove/reinstall your display? Maybe you've still got a bad trace somewhere on the display or hm board? That can be fixed....

OK, so your SD card seems to be programmed properly and the rPi is responding but not communicating with the ATMega at this point.
The blocks on the display look like what you get before the ATMega is programed, which also confirms the above.
The first question I have to ask after noticing that you installed the ATMega socket backwards is did you pay attention when installing the ATMega into the socket to orient it like shown on the silk screen on the board (rather than the way you have the socket installed)?
Perhaps a fresh set of pictures of the board (front and back) with all components installed would be helpful....

Back