Heatermeter inCold Weather

WBegg

TVWBB Pro
Cranking my heatermeter up for a cook this weekend. Any suggestions from you cold weather dwellers for using it in very cold temps? I'm using my insulated Akorn.

Put it in a large ziploc back and position it so that the bag opening is facing down. I do this during rain and snow cooks.

Put it in a large ziploc back and position it so that the bag opening is facing down. I do this during rain and snow cooks.

Thanks Steve. I currently use that method in rain or snow, I was just wondering if anyone has seen ill effects with the electronics when running in sub-zero temperatures.

You will be operating outside of most of the component's specs. The RPi itself is commercially rated - 0-70C. The Atmega is Industrial and will work to -40C. I would assume most of the other components on the HM are commercial, and have a 0C rating.
It will generate some heat itself, you could try wrapping it in a blanket to insulate it. That would probably be enough to keep it within a comfortable operating range. It'll probably work, but there's only one way to find out for sure!

The LCD will be a little wonky, but it will be fine once it warms up. Besides, who is going to be out there looking at it any way?

You could possibly get a condensation issue when you bring it back inside (like when glasses fog,) but just keeping it powered off until it is too room temp will negate that issue.

The "Hot hand" is a good idea, but limited duration.

As far as bringing it inside likely the safest thing is to put it in a sealed plastic bag zip lock bag and bring it inside until it has warmed up (something like a camera bag is also good). I don't think the condensation will do much immediate damage it is mostly a corrosion risk. Fresh water is not a great conductor.

You don't want to leave it sealed up when bringing it inside. That won't allow the condensate to evaporate. Also, I'm sure you meant pure/distilled water, not fresh water!

Not Really, If its in a case, sitting it on that heater, it would do nothing for the Heatermeter. It would heat the bottom of the case. Plastic is not a good at transferring heat.

I have smoked in Chicago's Winters for 5 years and never had any issues with it being cold. The Heatermeter and PI will produce enough of its own heat.

Only time I have ever had an LCD screen freeze solid, was in Lake Superior with a windchill of minus 65 degrees F..........that was on a small boat so I doubt you'll have any problems using it for smoking. Don't think it will get that cold.

I haven't had one freeze solid, but I have had them become very hard to read, and slow to respond to changes.

Not Really, If its in a case, sitting it on that heater, it would do nothing for the Heatermeter. It would heat the bottom of the case. Plastic is not a good at transferring heat.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. I think it could keep the air inside the case warm enough to increase the temps by a bit.

I'm going to try one out for a different project and if I get a chance, I'll see if I can try it with the HM.

Back