HeaterMeter 4.2.4 - using the blower from the kit, how big of a pit can it handle?

JGeiger

First off, i am a newbie. Also, i am not that great with hardware. i had a buddy help build the board for the HeaterMeter since it's been years since i have done anything like that.

My situation/question(s):

i am building a reverse flow smoker and i am wondering if the stock fan (BFB0612H) will handle it.

firebox dimensions are going to be 20" x 20" x 20"
the main chamber is an old air compressor tank, best i can figure it is either 60 gallon or 80 gallon.

i would love to just use the HeaterMeter for it, but i don't know if the stock fan can do it.

i found one thread on this board that seemed to indicate that using a power supply that has a higher amp rating will allow you to get a blower that has a higher CFM rating.

my questions are:
1. should i replace the blower i currently have?

2. is there a good way to estimate the size of fan i need? (i am willing to experiment and get a couple blowers, but i want to at least get somewhere in the ballpark with the first one)

3. how big is your reverse flow and what blower are you using?

Reverse flow smokers are outside of my area of expertise, so far, because I really want to build one eventually.... but I have a few questions/comments....

1) what blower do you currently have?

2) I have no idea how much flow you will need for your reverse flow smoker, but the HM does allow you to throttle back any blower by setting the MAX speed from 0-100%. So in theory if your blower has too much flow you can compensate for that with HM settings

3) I guess on this question I would suggest you examine how much air is flowing from your exhaust pipe during a standard cook controlling with the dampers and then expect you need at least that much flow from your blower.

The MOSFET that drives the blower on the HM is pretty hardy so you can drive a pretty significant blower with it, I have run 25CFM blowers (about 4X the size of the stock HM blower) and I know others are using similar sized blowers. The stock 1A power supply is under rated IMHO even for the stock blower and a servo damper, this is where you will need to boost things up a bit. I would tell you to just go for a nice beefy PS, you can never have too many AMPS, as long as the voltage is 12VDC (tip positive) you are good to go with a 2,3, even 4A or more PS... The cost is minimal to boost up the PS a bit.

10cfm would be about right for 55gallon drum. I would believe you would be in the 20cfm to 25cfm range. Its easier to go bigger then what you need, as you can always turn the percentage down in the settings. I use a 28cfm on my UDS, but run it at 30%. If so, go with a bfb1012h. They are easy to find on ebay and cheap. You will need atleast 1.2amp 12v power adapter, nothing less.

Last edited:

Back