Head Country Clone???

Kevin,
I tried this today.... Good.... I added a little onion and garlic. It still needs something, but I havent figured it out yet.

i can't decide if i like rufus teague better than head country or if i like head country better than rufus teague....
icon_rolleyes.gif

Kevin,
Very close: sampled side be side! However, it is missing something,maybe grape jelly? Not sure but again, very close and thanks so much for a great starting point and hopefully others can join in on the conversation.

Well, I can't say that I like HC enough to get back to it. But I think I might anyway. I just discovered that I didn't pitch the bottle I was using to compare against. Have you tried it again Brian?

Why... yes I have! #1 I added 1T and 1t grape juice. #2 I added 1T and 1t apple juice. #3 same as #1 but used Heinz with balsamic vinegar. #4 same as #1 but I used 1T and 1t apple cider vinegar. Except #3 I used Hunts Ketchup. I also used C&G pure cane sugar_light brown. All were very close: my family could not tell any difference between them! It's hard to believe that the pepper could give such a note of heat espically at the end! I am not sure with the pepper though? Maybe some type of hot sauce? Also, as you can see in the pictures, the color is darker than the HC (head county)(I do hope the pictures show up!)
Overall, the grape juice did not bring it closer to the HC sauce. It did seam that the apple juice did. Not sure what the cause of the color is? Maybe just plain sugar? I have read some where that one key to the sauce is pure cane sugar_could it be just plain white sugar? I think this is very close but not sure where to go from here? Thanks again Kevin.

hcclone2.jpg

guess I was wrong on the brown sugar!
World Famous Head Country BBQ Sauce. Now available for home use.
The year was 1945. Donovan Fred Head, known affectionately to everyone as "Uncle Bud," was home from World War II and his service as a cook on a U.S. Navy destroyer. Getting back into the rhythms of Oklahoma ranch life felt good, but so did tinkering at the stove and recalling the recipes he served up to his fellow sailors. One such recipe was for a bar-b-q sauce that used simple and wholesome ingredients that were easy to find in a Navy ship's kitchen: ketchup, brown sugar, distilled vinegar, worcestershire sauce and spices. Uncle Bud's recipe became known as ``Head Country Bar-B-Q Sauce" and proved just as popular with the neighbors as it was with the sailors! So many neighbors made the trip to buy fruit jars of the stuff that Uncle Bud decided to make it easier on his adoring fans. Head Country went retail in feed stores.

Kevin, I do hope that you give it another try! When I sample the HC sauce, I a get a hint of grapes? I tryed grape juice but am thinking in the wrong amount? Or is there another fruit that tastes like grapes? How much should I use?
Again, thanks for getting us this close.

Had I detected any significant fruit notes I would probably like HC more than I do. Also, any significant fruit inclusion would have to be identified on the label.

I'll give it another shot when I return to Las Vegas. I have a couple ideas.

Brian.... Is it correct to assume that in each of your numbered renditions you began with Mr. Kruger's original recipe?

Thank you Kevin and Brian for working on this. Keep up the good work.

Hey Kevin! I have tried some other "spices" and can get close but not what I was looking for. You had a couple of ideas? can you share them and I can try it out? Your direction has been very helpful just need some help here.

Remind me Wednesday or soon after. I will be flying back to Las Vegas from Florida on Tuesday night. Thanks. I did have some ideas but need to taste the sauce again.

Back