Head Country Clone???

Will be cool to see how you replicate. I did buy a couple bottles of HC BBQ sauce and Marinade just to see what all the fuss was about. Happened by a shop in Avalon, NJ who had it on the shelves so no shipping costs, etc.

Also a jar of Dizzy Pig rub since a number of folks here like it.

Haven't tried any yet, the last rib cook - we liked it so much with just the typical rub recipe I use we just ate them dry. Didn't even use any side sauces after the first rack.

Might try some of the marinade for the porterhouse I defrosted yesterday but thinking more of doing a porcini rub on that instead.

I had hoped to get to this before leaving Las Vegas again but could not. Had to zip to Dallas then Reno. In Dallas again now. Off to Atlanta tomorrow then to the ranch in Okeechobee on Tuesday. Then I'll fly back to Vegas on Wednesday.

All the ingredients are on my kitchen counter in Vegas. Left them there so I won't get sidetracked into something else. So, soon.

had hoped to get to this before leaving Las Vegas again but could not. Had to zip to Dallas then Reno. In Dallas again now. Off to Atlanta tomorrow then to the ranch in Okeechobee on Tuesday. Then I'll fly back to Vegas on Wednesday.
Wow - you continue to be very busy. Travel safely.
Ray

Don't know. It would probably be April at the earliest.

Could not get to the clone - again - today. I may just bring everything with me and see if I can work on it at my client's. It does not seem to be working any other way.

Preliminary (I have to play with it after my palate clears), but pretty close:

1/4 c ketchup

3 T plus 1 t light brown sugar

1 T plus 1 t distilled vinegar

1 T Worcestershire

8 drops Liquid Smoke

1/8 t finely ground black pepper

1/16 t cayenne

Combine all in a small pot. Bring to a simmer then simmer till the sugar is completely melted and the sauce thickens to the correct consistency, about 3-4 minutes.

LOL! Sorry but all this anticipation for that?
Never tasted the Head County but....
If thats not enough inspiration to make your own sauce don't know what is!

Marc, how do your taste buds compare the original commercially bottled head country sauce that so many people seem to like to that posted above? Close, not so close? Simple? yes. How do the flavors work together?

Rita, I've never tasted the Head Country before and to guess, Kevin is probably spot on in his interpretation. That is my point. Sometimes people get so caught up in duplicating something that they perceive as complex and turns out to be fairly simple.
Guess all I'm I saying is trust what you do and taste... Make the sauce with your taste buds and goals in mind. Yes: it's trial and error (and it's good to have a starting point) but in the end sometimes it works...
icon_smile.gif

Marc, I really appreciate your reasoned response. Perhaps I read more into your post than was intended. As you say, a starting point....and taste buds. Might work for one, but not someone else. That's why we're here on this great forum, to talk about it.

Rita

I got where you were coming from, Marc. Yeah, many typical commercial sauces are very basic combinations of simple off-the-shelf ingredients.

Back