Has anyone used the Jack Daniels Charcoal & Whiskey Barrel Smoking Blocks?

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Seems to be rather pricey compared to KBB, imho.
Is it any good? How is the flavor? Worth the money for a special chunk of meat??

I've never used this charcoal, but have used the Jack Daniels barrel chips as smoke wood before. The bag smells good when you open it, but I don't notice any difference in smoke flavor using the Jack Daniels chips as compared to generic oak chunks.

The product descriptions I've seen are vague. They say the briquets are made from fine wood char, and also contains Jack Daniel’s barrel pieces for distinct charcoal-grilled flavor. They don't tell you what percentage of the briquet is made from Jack Daniels oak barrel chips - only that it contains them. Seems like a gimick to me. They may be a quality product, but is sounds like you are paying a premium for the Jack Daniels name. If you try them let us know what you think.

I tried a 5 pound bag and didn't find it worth the extra expense. And, like Mark, I find the cooking result of barrel chips and chunks to be little different from any other white oak. Sure smells good, but the smoke just doesn't seem to be different...the bourbon smell and flavor apparently burns up in the fire.

I was given a bag as a gift (along with a bottle of JD!) - the whiskey is as good as ever, the charcoal isn't anything special although having the black bag it comes in sitting next to the Weber makes for a nice photo opportunity.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
I'll spare you the "Do you keep Jack Daniels in the bag/bottle joke?".:cool:

I use the chips when I'm grilling wings on the OTG and they give off a nice taste and give the wings a nice color...not so much with the chunks...not bad or anything, but just not noticeable.

I tried a bag and loved it. But never bought any more. Charcoal is expensive enough around these parts. It was over $10/5lb bag IIRC. 0.0

I won 6 bags of it at a charity auction and I used some this weekend to smoke a pork roast. I did not notice any taste difference. However, I did appreciate the awesome smell of the barrel chunks after taking them out of the sealed bag that they came in (before throwing them on the fire). If given the choice, I would not have bought this off of the store shelf, especially because you don't get much for the price.

Back